Talk

Advanced search

Reiki

(19 Posts)
SleepyJess Fri 28-Jan-05 18:26:15

Hello

Just wondered what others' experiences of Reiki are? I was attuned almost a year ago (on my 32nd birthday .. nothing 'mystical' happened.. but I could do it straight away. I came straight home and gave my mum a lot of relief from a sinus infection she was really suffering with.

I got attuned, primarily, in order to try and help DH who has arthritis. To begin with I was treating him daily but we have kind of got out of the habit. I never seem to have time to give anyone a full 40 minute or so session.. but what I do generally seems to help..even if only a few minutes. My six year old is always asking for 'a Reiki' when she has little aches and pains.. bless!

I was attuned with my best friend (who has an interest in things spiritual, to some degree, but steers clear of actual religion, mostly) because the Reiki master that attuned us said she does it best in pairs. We were going to go back and do Reiki 2, but we haven't done.

I go to a Christian C of E church and casually mentioned that I was going to be attuned, when I was in a car after a social evening with a few ladies from church. Everybody claimed to know nothing about reiki!! (I have known about it for years.. but never wanted to 'go there' until recently although not sure why... so was surprised they knew nothing about it!) I have since seen in mentioned re paganism but I thought Reiki was not actually t do with 'any religion'? (Perhaps it offended the Christian sensibilities of the laides from church! I am quite 'in' with the church but have 'some problems' with a few aspects here and there.. but for the most part it doesn't feel wrong..')

Going off on a tangent here. Just want to chat re: reiki and others' experiences. I find it so hard to find the time to use it.. I mostly treat DH as we are falling asleep at night.. on whatever joint is hurting him the most (currently one elbow). I often feel a great heat, when giving reiki as I am drifting off to sleep.. perhaps it's because I am so relaxed. I can never quiet my mind to any extent at all.. so can't meditate while I give reiki as some people do. i have never had much success with meditation at all.. although before we were attuned, she had us listen to a colour meditation tape, which quieted my mind to some extent.

Looking forward to hearing from folks!

SJ x

ionesmum Sat 29-Jan-05 13:01:57

Hi SJ

I've had reiki, it didn't help the problem I have but it was a nice experience. Personally I think reiki (like many other alternative therapies) is what the practitioner makes of it. I saw a herbalist once and had a real and terrifying feeling of evil, I couldn't wait to get away from her. She told me all kinds of awful things, like to be happy I'd have to leave dh and my family (this was before the dds). I still felt that herbalism was for me so saw another herbalist who saw my cross and asked if I were a Christian. When I said that I was, she told me that the other herbalist uses the occult in her diagnosis, and that my fear was the Spirit warning me to get away from her. So I would feel happy to have reiki from a Christian or a non-Christian who respected my beliefs, but not from someone who would use the occult in connection with me.

It would be really helpful if more Christians practised alternative therapies, then they might be more accepted. After all, the Bible has lots of aromatherapy in it, and the medieval monks were the finest herbalists!

ionesmum Fri 04-Feb-05 11:48:14

SJ, can reiki help with colds and 'flu?

SleepyJess Tue 22-Feb-05 00:05:53

Hi Ionesmum. Don't know how I missed this post weeks ago now.. sorry!

Yep Reiki can help with anything.. in fact it will always do something positive and can do absolutely no harm whatsoever. The lady who attuned my friend and I said that the energy will go to the place it is needed the most - sometimes that won't be place that is specifically being treated - it might help with an emotional problem, or stress or something.

Who had the flu? Everyone has had it or something like it round here and germs are still circulating big time round my family. DD had to be collected from school today poor little love. She has been under the weather for weeks. I had been coughing for weeks on end until the end of last week when, finally, I ended up really chesty and asthmatic even though my asthma hasn't bothered me for years really. I was actually considering going to the docs (hardly ever go for me.. just my medical-nightmare of a family, lol!) but had been self-treating with Reiki a lot the night before at that morning, which was my birthday (was not happy, feeling crap on my birthday!) Then suddenly I felt better..and I haven't wheezed since! I AM using my inhalers but I know the Reiki was helping because although I hardly ever get the same sensation in my hands when I self treat as when I treat others, my chest was feeling really tingly and I kept needing to cough - which meant I could shift some of the stuff on my chest! Best experience of self-treating I have had.. made me determined to do it more as self treatment is supposed to be a big part of being a Reiki practiitioner.

Hope you and yours and all feeling better now...

SJ x

ionesmum Fri 25-Feb-05 22:32:53

Hi, SJ, have only just noticed your reply! We've all had 'flu at one time or another this winter, then I got tonsilitis which was horrid. I'm interested to read of your experiences, and glad you're a lot better now after a rough time. I think I will have to learn more about Reiki.

spinel Fri 04-Mar-05 13:13:21

hello ionesmum and sleepyjess, i have only just joined so have just found this thread. Being a Reiki Master I am always interested in other people's experiences. Found your comments interesting. Glad you enjoyed your attunements, do you mind telling me how long they took?

Caribbeanqueen Fri 04-Mar-05 13:27:15

I did Reiki I several years ago and Reiki II three years ago before I went to live abroad. I thought I could use it there but there was no call for it at all, so I haven;t done anything with it. I'm even out of the habit of using it on myself or dp and I'm not even sure I can remember the symbols

I really like Reiki but I'm not quite sure where to go with it from here.

SleepyJess Fri 04-Mar-05 13:31:35

Hi Caribbeanqueen .. I know nothing about the symbols other than what I have seen in a book I have called The Reiki Sourcebook. The lady who attuned us said we didn't need to know them at stage 1.. and I certianly haven't felt the need. I just put my hands on the person I am treating and do it! I have no doubt in my mind these days that it works.

spinel, my attunement was a day thing (a pair of us, attuned together). We were there from about 10 am until 3pm I think.

SJ x

anorak Fri 04-Mar-05 13:42:15

We have a pampering evening at ds's school next week and I have put my name down for a 15-minute session. It will be done by a neighbour of mine whom I have visited before for Indian Head massage.

I am a little sceptical, I don't have any religious faith myself, but I am open-minded about natural therapies. I'll be trying crystal therapy on the same evening.

spinel Fri 04-Mar-05 13:44:11

sleepyjess, thanks for quick reply, pleased that your attunement took most of the day. its just that some people rush it (money motivation)and then the person being attuned misses out on what should be a wonderful experience.

SleepyJess Fri 04-Mar-05 13:45:23

Anorak you don't need any religious beliefs.. an open mind is all that is necessary. Some sources state that Reiki is not actually connected to any religion anyway. Hope you enjoy it. That was my first experience of reiki, at a 'therapies morning' type thing. At the very least it will relax you although it's not quite the same if you are being used for a 'demonstration.'

SJ x

Papillon Fri 04-Mar-05 13:48:17

Attuned to level 1 around 1998. The only person I practise it on it my dd. Ususally when she is sleeping and seems to need it. The energy I can feel going through my hand is often very strong like she has needed to release bad vibes or so.

Anorak I hope you find it beneficial. I had reiki done years ago and felt very light and good afterwards. I have never worked much with or being worked on with crystal healing. But I did do a shell mediation while in NZ recently... instead of stones or crystals and found it very responsive to what I was trying to work upon.

Papillon Fri 04-Mar-05 13:49:43

my attunement was an all day event and we tried it on each other... after that I worked for a chiropractor and gave reiki to clients who wished for it... he gave me free chiro treatment in return.

SleepyJess Fri 04-Mar-05 13:51:12

Spinel she halved the price for my friend and I because we had to cancel our first appointment due to 'financial stresses'! We made a new one and she she said to only pay half the full amount each as she would never want anyone who wanted to sue reiki to be put off by not having the money to pay for the attunement. She only charges because it's what she does all day every day.. (plus some other alternative therapies) so needs to charge in order to make is viable.

SJ x

SleepyJess Fri 04-Mar-05 13:52:08

use reiki... not 'sue' it lol!

Snugs Fri 04-Mar-05 14:51:25

Hiya Paps - spinel is my mum, so she is the Reiki master I asked for advice for you when you were having problems with the room.

spinel Fri 04-Mar-05 15:11:56

sleepyjess didnt mean to imply that your reiki master was over charging. in fact she sounds very much like the one i went too. i see from the last message that i have been rumbled, lol

SleepyJess Fri 04-Mar-05 15:14:06

Its ok Spinel.. I didn't think you were implying that

SJ x

bizzybee Sun 06-Mar-05 17:50:16

hi
im a reikimaster. Its not connected to any religion at all. I only did it really to get a qualification. Natural healers arn't really recognised.

jo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now