Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When did you start talking about God to your children?

(19 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Tue 25-Jan-05 10:33:53

Hi, new here. So many questions about God and we are all searching. Suppose its a life long thing. When did you all start to talk to your kids about God? Do u talk to your kids about God and how did you introduce the subject?

collision Tue 25-Jan-05 16:57:09

We started as soon as he was born. We do talk about God and how he made all the animals and the food we eat and the trees and flowers he made. DS hurt his face the other day (he is 2.9yrs) and said, 'Never mind, Mummy, god will make it better.' He also points up to the clouds and tells us that that is where God and Jesus live. We started simply with the story of Noah's ark and the animals etc

mamadadawahwah Tue 25-Jan-05 17:34:13

thanks collision. I dont know where to start but that is as good as place as any.

ionesmum Tue 25-Jan-05 23:14:19

Another vote for starting from birth. I use prayers that I like, and also sing songs. There's a great lullaby cd available from Amazon by Twila Paris with lovely songs for little ones. Also Lion have some great books on their website including board ones for tinies. We also talk about how God made everything, how we need to thank him etc.

Also let your little one find their own way of seeing God...maybe through exploring nature or their own creativity. When they are old enough they can have a place in their room to put things that remind them of God. You could give them somthing like a cross or picture of a rainbow. Try lighting a candle before bed time and saying a little prayer or blessing. Celtic Christian ones are nice.

I write handouts for a children's pram service giving ideas on faith at home so if you'd like any more info let me know.

Joining children on their spiritual journey is so precious. You'r egiving your little one a gift for life

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 25-Jan-05 23:17:20

From birth. It's a part of our life so there is no special mentioning etc. We all go to Church together and prayer is an accepted part of our life. We sing songs, read books, the Bible etc.

Gwenick Tue 25-Jan-05 23:28:57

From birth as it's also part of our life.

DS1 learnt to say the 'family' grace (it's actulaly just the 'for what we're about to recieve) from a very young age and DS2 (now just about to turn 14 months waits until we get to the end of it and then says AAAAAAA at the end of it as we're saying amen).

CountessDracula Tue 25-Jan-05 23:33:31

Not part of our life but we did go to a children's crib service this year. 2yo dd had great fun (despite accidentally headbutting the virgin mary LOL) and kept talking about little baby jesus!

The vicar was rather embarrassing and started dancing and clapping at the end which rather put us off the whole thing, however I am happy to take dd once a year (and to any other religious ceremonies of any other faiths where appropriate). She is too young to understand yet, but when she starts to ask I will just explain that different people believe in different gods but Mummy and Daddy don't. It is up to her if she chooses to of course.

Ameriscot2005 Wed 26-Jan-05 09:05:09

God is a part of our everyday life, so we've never "introduced" God, as such.

I don't think kids have nearly as hard a time coming to grips with Christianity as adults do, so they will do fine if plonked into Sunday School alongside more seasoned children.

An easy way to introduce Christianity to a baby/toddler is to read Bible stories together - they are designed for all ages, from board books up. Then to go to a church that has a special toddler service during the week. Of course, any church service with good children's groups is fine too.

mamadadawahwah Wed 26-Jan-05 10:11:12

thank you ionesmum. Very good ideas, will follow up on that.

leahbump Wed 26-Jan-05 20:16:48

hiya,

dh and i are both c of e vicars....eeek. There's no way ds or bump wouldn't hear about God! He's been heraing since in the womb. HE loves church...and we've been singnig/reading/praying since birth.

The author susie poole does a few great book based on less typical bible passages that are board books and beautiful.

look on amazon...published by pupfish.

A time for everything (ecclesiates!)
always near me (psalm 139)

are the two I'd recomend most- they are beautfully illustrated. The first I mentioned is also great for gifts to folk who are not so churchy...religious...I give this to babies that I baptise as it doesn't actualy mention god as such!

helsi Fri 28-Jan-05 23:15:13

We are catholic but go to the village CoE toddler group. DD is two now and got a "Follow the star" book from Santa at the Xmas party. She loved the book and knows that baby Jesus' mummy is called Mary. She also got a Noahs Ark book for Xmas with a make your own Ark model. we also have to sing the baby Jesus song every night before bed (to us it is Away in a manger). haven't mentioned God much yet but we are getting there. Been goping to church on Sunday and she knows that it is where Jesus lives.

Marina Fri 28-Jan-05 23:25:20

Church is part of our lives too so from birth and before (ds would have been listening in to Faire is the Heaven and all sorts of other wonderful sacred music as I sang in a church choir until I was 39 weeks pregnant with him...).
A lovely book for older children is Geraldine McCaughrean's The Jesse Tree. It interweaves Bible stories with the framework of an elderly craftsman restoring a Jesse tree in a church and talking to a disenchanted youngster about the characters it depicts...she is such a good storyteller.

ionesmum Fri 28-Jan-05 23:45:09

Hi Marina This book sounds lovely.

mummygow Sat 29-Jan-05 01:53:59

like the others we never really introduced god we just speak about him and go to chapel (not always on a regular basis. We say a prayer every night and have done since dd was a baby - she knows it word perfect. It is my mums birthday on christmas day and when we were singing happy birthday to her my dd sang "happy birthday dear jesus". We also bought a nice book called Bear's First Bible
{http://thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=084997688X}

mummygow Sat 29-Jan-05 01:56:53

Sorry dont really know how to insert a link yet but that is the web page that will show you the Bear's First Bible

Marina Sat 29-Jan-05 23:33:28

Ionesmum, it is very nice to see you posting again How are you all?

ionesmum Sun 30-Jan-05 20:29:33

Hi, Marina

We are well, thank you. How are you?

Marina Mon 31-Jan-05 09:17:43

Apart from smashing my little toe up on dd's pushalong doggy on Thursday evening (no, I didn't kick him deliberately) we are all fine, thanks. But I still can't get any shoes on over the strapping etc and have missed a lot of fun outings over the past four days (and work too )

ionesmum Mon 31-Jan-05 20:14:32

Hi, Marina, that sounds painful! I am getting over 'flu so we didn't go anywhere at the weekend either.

Hope you feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now