Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are tarot cards and Catholicism compatable?

(10 Posts)
mears Mon 10-Jan-05 09:25:55

A bit of a strange question here but one that has been troubling me. When I got confirmed in the Episcopalean church, I had to repent for sins such as reading my horoscope and promise not to do it again. Perhaps the Bishop was a bit weird but it did stick with me for a number of years. Unfortunately I am not a regular church goer, but I do have a belief in God.

However, one of my friends who is Roman Catholic can be quite critical at times regarding the faith of others. Other religions are second best in her point of view. I find it quite strange how she can reconcile being a catholic and encouraging her daughter to read Tarot cards and read people's palms etc. because she has 'a gift' for it. Are these 2 thngs really compatable. Is it just me? She says that she believes the 2 are compatable. Are they?

karenanne Mon 10-Jan-05 09:43:52

hi mears its been my belief that the catholic church looks upon the tarot as part of the occult and that its evil.

i remember in senior school having a catholic priest to come in and do a talk on the evil of the occult,ouiji boards ,the tarot and horoscopes were all mentioned.

hth

gothicmama Mon 10-Jan-05 09:47:34

I don't think they are teh catholic church as i understand it believes that Mary can intercede but do't think they would look kindly upon contacting the spirit world

amynnixmum Mon 10-Jan-05 10:03:08

No The Catholic church would definately not sanction the use of tarot cards! They consider them part of the occult and something to be avoided. Don't think they would ask you to repent for using them or reading your horoscope if you decided to become a catholic as an adult but that might depend on the priest. Having said that I'm a catholic and have had my cards read and gone for a spiritual reading and I know I'm not the only one. I don't really see a problem with it myself but I know the church would.

lowcalCOD Mon 10-Jan-05 10:06:41

hey mears you are right! yayayay
It does sound incongruous

Tommy Mon 10-Jan-05 10:16:20

I'm a RC too and I think your friend is being a bit hypocritical mears! You wouldn't necessarirly be "told" to repent from using them but Ithey wouldn't be encouraged. I think most Catholics I know (including priests) would say that horoscopes and the like should be treated as a bit of fun and that it would be incomapatinle tp put all your trust and faith in God if you believed that other forces were influencing or controlling things in your life.

Bradybunches Mon 10-Jan-05 10:20:15

I agree with amynnixmum that Roman Catholicism would never approve the use of Tarot cards, way too occult! The RC fear of the occult is that the devil will reach out through experimentation with the supernatural and take you away from the straight and narrow path. I am sure that there are some devout Catholics who could use tarot cards without it destroying their faith but they would never be bragging to their priest about it!
And I think it's a shame this woman is hoity about her faith.

amynnixmum Mon 10-Jan-05 10:29:17

I have a copy of the 'Catechism of the Catholic Church' at home at the moment (dont ask).
It says "All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to 'unveil' the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honour, respect and loving fear that we owe to God alone."
A bit full on I know but this book is the official law of the Catholic church. And having read it it looks like I have been a naughty girl

Bradybunches Mon 10-Jan-05 10:32:15

no messing with that eh?!

mears Mon 10-Jan-05 14:47:38

Thanks very much for your replies. I knew it wasn't just me! She told me about it last week when she had had a drink and said that she hadn't mentioned it before because she knew I would frown upon it. I don't mind what people do but it is the fact that I have had numerous reasons quoted to me why catholicism is 'the' religion that I definately felt she is misguided in her belief that it is OK for her daughter to develop her Tarot card reading skills. What they do is up to them, but am glad that I am not the only one to think it is being hypocrtitical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now