Talk

Advanced search

How do you celebrate Easter?

(16 Posts)
speakout Sun 18-Mar-18 06:34:13

So many lovely easter things appearing in shops right now set my mind thinking. We are having family around for a meal, I out up an Easter tree, and lots of chocolate of course. When the kids were younger it would be an Easter egg hunt, but too old for that now,
What do you do?

Kitchenbound Sun 18-Mar-18 07:44:40

How old are the kids? We set up all our kids doing art and craft type projects - painting plaster bunnies, decorating egg cups and mugs etc but yours may be a bit old for that?

insancerre Sun 18-Mar-18 07:47:23

I don't, I have never celebrated Easter
We got Easter eggs and that's about it

speakout Sun 18-Mar-18 07:49:16

Kitchenbound 20 and 17.

insancerre I celebrate every festival going, even obscure ones like Imbolc and Mabon. Easter is a biggie!

insancerre Sun 18-Mar-18 07:56:04

Imboic and Mabon?
No, you've lost me

speakout Sun 18-Mar-18 07:58:39

That's OK. I know most people don't celebrate these festivals.

hiddenmnetter Sun 18-Mar-18 12:16:11

What's an Easter tree?

speakout Sun 18-Mar-18 12:21:48

I started doing this after seeing my German friend's Easter tree- apparently big over there. So sweet, bring in branches that are about to bud, forsythia or pussy willow is great to use, decorate with paper mache eggs, little chicks, bunnies, ribbons etc

stargirl1701 Sun 18-Mar-18 12:23:04

Hot cross buns, Church, choc eggs, rolling decorated hens eggs, Easter tree, Easter books and toys out for DC, family lunch on Easter Sunday...I think that's it.

LillyputLane Sun 18-Mar-18 12:53:20

Chocolate for breakfast followed by alcohol from lunchtime til whatever time we roll home on Monday morning.

It is after all a bank holiday so no work to get up for.

namechange2222 Sun 18-Mar-18 12:57:35

Easter egg hunt for gs. Family for roast lamb lunch. It's very often spring like or quite warm and probably my favourite celebration day of the year. Its so good to celebrate new beginnings out in the garden

Jason118 Sun 18-Mar-18 13:01:26

Two days off work - yesssss!!!

Service Maundy Thursday and the church gets stripped right back afterwards. Good Friday there is a service in town followed by one in my own church at 2pm. Saturday we are with family and then Easter Sunday starts with the 6.30am Dawn service where we set light to stuff and celebrate the resurrection with party poppers and much noise making. We did breakfast for the parish at the Vicarage between services with the main service at 10am. Then I go out to see my palliative care people and finally back home for lunch and as much chocolate as I can eat. Then sleep. Lots of sleep.

VanGoghsLeftEar Sun 18-Mar-18 17:59:49

I give my husband a poncy overpriced chocolate egg (pagan tradition) and that's it. I am working this Easter weekend (London Underground) and besides, I am definitely atheist (as most of my family are).

Elphame Sun 18-Mar-18 19:00:06

Mabon is the 1970s invention of an American, Aidan Kelly who decided to appropriate the name of a Welsh mythic hero/demigod as there was a gap in the neo pagan wheel of the year.

The rest of us call it the Autumn Equinox.

Imbolc is the Irish Pagan name for the festival occurring at the same time as Candlemas. The name does at least have some validity unlike Mabon.

speakout Sun 18-Mar-18 19:23:06

Elphame

Thanks for that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: