Talk

Advanced search

Jewish Funeral arrangements

(6 Posts)
wowthisisnoteasy Sun 11-Mar-18 22:19:34

I have a close friend whose mother is anticipated to pass soon.
I would want (and prob be expected) to attend the funeral and provide support to my friend and her immediate family.

Her family is practicing Jewish. My friend, is not really. I was brought up In a Christian household, but tbh, not really very religious. I wondered if anyone could answer my Qs so I can be well prepped to help when needed......

How soon following their passing would the funeral be held?
Are there any other important rituals that I may not be aware of that I should be?
Is there a dress code for the funeral or otherwise?
Anything that might not have occurred to me?

retirednow Sun 11-Mar-18 22:22:51

I had thus myself recently and found a lot online, i will try and find the site i found.

samG76 Mon 12-Mar-18 09:48:03

How soon following their passing would the funeral be held?

within 48 hours, unless the Camden coroner gets involved

Are there any other important rituals that I may not be aware of that I should be?

Maybe the family will sit together for up to a week after the funeral. Don't expect to be fed!

Is there a dress code for the funeral or otherwise? Not really

Anything that might not have occurred to me? don't bring flowers

specialsubject Tue 13-Mar-18 20:13:15

No flowers. Dress is normal dark funeral outfit.

Service is one size fits all , same for everyone with a eulogy. Men and women may be directed to opposite sides of the prayer house, but the officiant will direct everyone so it is easy. The service may be in Hebrew but doesn't take long.

When you leave the cemetery, follow the others to a hand washing place, tradition. The Jewish thing to say to mourners is ' long life' but you just say what you normally would.

wowthisisnoteasy Wed 21-Mar-18 21:28:23

Thanks guys.

JellySlice Thu 29-Mar-18 23:37:30

^*Maybe the family will sit together for up to a week after the funeral.^ Don't expect to be fed!*

If you visit them during this time, follow their lead. If they want to sit quietly, don't feel you need to make conversation. If they want to talk about their loved one, cry, whatever, that's fine. You don't need to 'do' anything. The week is an intense period of mourning, when intense feelings can be freely expressed.

It is traditional to bring food when you visit a house of morning. If the mourners are practising Jews, then buy prepacked cake, or something else, marked 'Kosher'. Most big supermarkets will carry something suitable. Vegan and vegetarian products will also be suitable (unless they are strictly Orthodox Jews).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: