Talk

Advanced search

Bible Study

(32 Posts)
MotherMarysStylist Fri 26-Jan-18 13:59:33

Would anyone be interested in doing a bible study?

I was thinking New Testament?

Millybingbong Sun 04-Feb-18 19:49:30

On this thread?
Yes!

StillTryingHard Mon 05-Feb-18 00:59:05

Yes I'm in

Lessstressedhemum Mon 05-Feb-18 19:09:05

I would like this.

donniemurdo Mon 05-Feb-18 21:34:48

I'd be interested too

cheapskatemum Wed 07-Feb-18 14:43:32

Yes, me too!

Jaytee38 Mon 12-Feb-18 17:19:00

I'm intetested

Heismyopendoor Mon 12-Feb-18 17:24:15

Yes smile

CishAndFips Tue 13-Feb-18 17:48:28

I'd be interested.

Jenacles Tue 13-Feb-18 17:58:20

Yes please!

wewentoutonsunday Tue 13-Feb-18 18:01:07

Niminy Tue 13-Feb-18 18:33:17

Not sure if MotherMary has been back recently, but perhaps we could just dive in and see where we get to? Any particular requests for things people would like to do?

I would be happy to post an extract and then we could discuss it - I could post, I don't know, once a week - or more often?

Peoplesuckballs Tue 13-Feb-18 18:39:54

Count me in

CishAndFips Tue 13-Feb-18 20:36:10

Sounds like a good plan niminy

ThinkHardAndGrowANameChange Tue 13-Feb-18 23:01:22

Yep sounds good nim

ButtfaceMiscreant Tue 13-Feb-18 23:02:35

I'd like to join in, if I may smile

Jaytee38 Tue 13-Feb-18 23:13:44

Sounds good. If it's NT it would be a nice change to do a book outside of the gospels.

Madhairday Wed 14-Feb-18 09:51:25

Yes please smile

theblessedDJ Wed 14-Feb-18 10:17:11

I'm in.

Niminy Wed 14-Feb-18 17:08:30

Brilliant! This is a slightly random choice, but we have to start somewhere ... so here is the begining of the first book of the New Testament to be written, the first letter to the Thessalonians. I've cut and pasted the NRSV version but there are many other translations here, use the drop down menu above the text.

1 Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy,

To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

Grace to you and peace.
The Thessalonians’ Faith and Example

2 We always give thanks to God for all of you and mention you in our prayers, constantly 3 remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. 4 For we know, brothers and sisters[a] beloved by God, that he has chosen you, 5 because our message of the gospel came to you not in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction; just as you know what kind of persons we proved to be among you for your sake. 6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for in spite of persecution you received the word with joy inspired by the Holy Spirit, 7 so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. 8 For the word of the Lord has sounded forth from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but in every place your faith in God has become known, so that we have no need to speak about it. 9 For the people of those regions[b] report about us what kind of welcome we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols, to serve a living and true God, 10 and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who rescues us from the wrath that is coming.

Niminy Wed 14-Feb-18 17:09:44

Comments, thoughts, ideas, questions, what this passage means for you today ... all welcome, post below!

CishAndFips Wed 14-Feb-18 19:46:56

I may be completely missing the point here but as somebody very new to exploring their faith this really speaks to me.

To me it is about coming to the Lord and learning to live in Jesus example. Also how the message is not only in the Bible but all around us and it is with us all the time.

theblessedDJ Wed 14-Feb-18 20:36:09

I love this passage and all others similar to it as it really brings home to me the good work that the people in Thessalonica where doing. How affirming to have Paul, a huge spiritual giant, saying such encouraging things. It also reminds me of the importance of encouraging each other as we try to do the right thing in our faith. It makes me feel really positive and encouraged.

mussie Wed 14-Feb-18 21:05:33

I like "in spite of persecution you received the word with joy". I like being reminded that the word is not just for the good times.

Though, this passage also makes me feel a little inadequate. Fairly certain that no one would say I was an "example to all believers" or that "in every place [my] faith in God has become known". I definitely come up short against the Thessalonians. Anyone else feel the same way sometimes?

cheapskatemum Fri 16-Feb-18 20:54:02

Hi Niminy! It's been a while! Thanks for choosing Thessalonians, I can't think that I've ever done a Bible Study on that book before and I love doing new things.

mussie it's realising that my example has an influence that keeps me on my toes often. I'm definitely a work in progress though.

I like that Paul recognises the role of the Holy Spirit (verses 4 and 6).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now