Advanced search

I think people should be careful doing Reiki

(717 Posts)
lottieandmia22 Sat 06-Jan-18 19:32:09

This post assumes a belief in spirituality so I'm not interested in debating that specifically. If you want to please start your own thread.

From what I can see, reiki is channeling occult energy through people's bodies and is therefore potentially risky. It seems to me that new age practitioners will repeatedly say they don't believe in malevolent entities but I think this is naive.

One of my friends told me that his dad was never the same after he became involved with reiki.

And also nearly everyone I've met who has done it was told by the reiki practitioner that they are 'special' have a 'gift' or could easily become a reiki master.

lottieandmia22 Sat 06-Jan-18 19:33:34

Sorry I meant to add on to the last point that this encourages a kind of hubris in the person and also curiosity.

SprogletsMum Sat 06-Jan-18 19:34:56

It is easy to become a reiki master. Literally anyone with the time and money can do it.
No comment on the rest of it because you only want people who believe, but I do know that being a reiki master is easy to do.

lottieandmia22 Sat 06-Jan-18 19:37:25

Oh I see so do people have to pay to become reiki masters? No wonder they are so keen to rope others in!

specialsubject Sat 06-Jan-18 19:41:19

So what do your logical thinking skills tell you about it?

The only danger is to money and friends , plus neglected illness if people use this instead of real medicine.

No relevance to any spiritual beliefs. I hope you now see the light. smile

dutysuite Sat 06-Jan-18 19:48:01

I know a few people who have trained as reike masters and two go into an NHS hospital to see patients, using their reike techniques as complementary and alternative medicines/treatment. I think it is a load of tosh and would never pay to have this treatment but each to their own!

museumum Sat 06-Jan-18 19:52:34

I don’t believe there’s an occult energy.
I am willing to believe in the benefit of tapping into the power of ones own mind / energy. The mind is a powerful force over the physical and I see the reiki practitioner as directing the receivers own mind to their benefit.

katseyes7 Sat 06-Jan-18 19:57:51

l've had reiki treatments, and l felt amazing afterwards. l can't say l've ever thought of it as an 'occult' practice though, to be honest.

lottieandmia22 Sat 06-Jan-18 19:59:35

Anything that involves moving energy is meddling with the occult imo.

BertieBotts Sat 06-Jan-18 20:13:03

My mum does reiki. She wouldn't say that she doesn't believe in malevolent energies/spirits but she would say that she can sense this pretty well and she wouldn't channel something evil.

I don't really believe in it if I'm honest, but it does make me feel very calm.

ginteresting Sat 06-Jan-18 20:23:13

I thought it was a load of old crap. Somebody I know, who i very much respected became involved in it. I had a very minor ailment and she offered her 'gift' of healing to help me, out of politeness I accepted and thought I'd have to lie and say it had helped... but It actually did. Not sure if it was a placebo effect but I swear it resolved the issue.

lottieandmia22 Sat 06-Jan-18 20:50:14

Oh I see. So at least there is an awareness of what to channel out. I do actually think reiki can work for some people. It's not mumbo jumbo. But this is also the problem.

Elphame Sat 06-Jan-18 23:46:14

Occult simply means hidden. I use an energy healing technique too and have had Reiki practised on me. Some people are good at it others - well not so much. It’s not a difficult technique to learn if you have the time and patience.

lottieandmia22 Sun 07-Jan-18 10:00:10

Occult doesn't mean hidden. It means 'Involving or relating to mystical, supernatural, or magical powers, practices, or phenomena.'

lottieandmia22 Sun 07-Jan-18 10:02:45

I have learned how to do Indian Head massage and I think the same applies. It was tacked onto the end of a beauty course which I find very odd. When doing these massages I saw colours and felt incredibly sick and ill. It's messing with something unknown.

lovemylover Sun 07-Jan-18 10:07:00

I had Reiki when i was going through a very stressful time i actually fell asleep,it was very calming and relaxing music was played, and i felt much better after it
I dont believe it is anything to do with the occult

sugaredstrawberries Sun 07-Jan-18 10:07:59

I agree OP, I think meddling in these 'new age' practices is dangerous territory.

MrsST Sun 07-Jan-18 10:09:19

It's not messing with the "occult" it's working with energies for the greater good of the person receiving it.
Its well known that after a treatment you must drink plenty of water as your body detoxes, which can make you feel worse if you don't.
The energy worked with is that of a higher consciousness, the person doing the Reiki becomes a vessel in order for the energies to flow.
I've had bad and good effects from Reiki and I'm also attuned to Reiki 2 myself.
The bad effects were down to me not drinking enough water after a treatment. So therefore I felt quite poorly.
I do believe it works and why shouldn't people pay to become attuned?
It is true that anyone can practise Reiki, an attunement involves being given symbols which have been passed down for thousands of years.

BertrandRussell Sun 07-Jan-18 10:10:58

“And also nearly everyone I've met who has done it was told by the reiki practitioner that they are 'special' have a 'gift' or could easily become a reiki master.”

Yes. Because it is a pyramid selling scheme

TammySwansonTwo Sun 07-Jan-18 10:13:08

My mum got very involved in reiki, bi-aura, distance healing etc before she was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and then had many unscrupulous people tell her they could cure her for a sum (which she obviously paid, and she obviously died).

I don't believe in it at all but it seems to me that if it's possible to help someone using these techniques, it's also possible to hurt someone - pretending otherwise seems ridiculous to me.

MrsST Sun 07-Jan-18 10:14:20

Some of these "new age" practices are not new age at all and can be dated back to BC. You seem quite scared of what you call the "occult" I'm interested in knowing if you have a religion.
I've been a practising Stegheria witch for the past 15 years. A practice which has been passed down through generations of Italian witches which predates Christianity.
I think people become scared of things that they don't understand, which is understandable. But if people are not willing to read around the topic thoroughly and try to understand it then that makes them ignorant IMHO.

Sevendown Sun 07-Jan-18 10:14:52

I wouldn’t class Indian head message with reiki.

It’s lovely and not at all woo

BertrandRussell Sun 07-Jan-18 10:15:58

“Some of these "new age" practices are not new age at all and can be dated back to BC“

Reiki can’t! Early 20th century. And has always been a very clever commercial enterprise.

ToEarlyForDecorations Sun 07-Jan-18 10:16:01

Erm, my husband and I had reikei therapy. It was just good to lay down and rest in an inner calm state. It was done as a fundraiser for a mainstream charity.

No occult. No negative energy. No pyramid selling.

WizardOfToss Sun 07-Jan-18 10:16:07

There’s so much misinformation in your posts, that it’s hard to know where to start.

If you believe in ‘malevolent entities’, and that they can enter the body through reiki, I can’t see how a logical discussion of facts will dissuade you.

Surely if you don’t like the idea of it, you just avoid it?

Or are you making it a mission to warn off others? What makes you qualified to do so?

I was going to leave it there, but I must take issue with a couple of your howlers. Firstly, any reputable reiki practitioner (obviously they vary!) will be quite clear that anyone can learn the techniques with practice. It’s not a ‘gift’. Clearly some people will be ‘gifted’ in any healing practices, due to their calmness, care, empathy etc, which makes them successful, but that’s not the same thing.

Secondly, it’s rather odd to expect someone to teach reiki, or any other craft, practice, pastime or skill set, for nothing. For free. Because asking for money in exchange for your time and skills is somehow wrong??

If you think it’s a load of old bollocks, fine. Don’t give it any more headspace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now