Talk

Advanced search

Online courses for beginner in Christianity?

(17 Posts)
EvangelineM Thu 04-Jan-18 23:56:28

Over the last year, I feel I have begun to find a little seed of faith. As a child I was fascinated with religious studies but throughout my twenties, I was pretty much an atheist.

I can't say exactly what has changed and why, but I find myself more and more thinking about God, life, death and what kind of life I want to lead going forward.

I am very much out of my depth currently however and have no idea where to start. I don't feel ready to visit churches or discuss my feelings with family (atheists) so I feel books and perhaps something online would be a good enough starting point?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jaytee38 Fri 05-Jan-18 02:05:32

I can recommend a great ladies only group. We do bible study online and generally chat about stuff. There's ladies in all stages of faith. If you're interested ill message you a link to the page

Jaytee38 Fri 05-Jan-18 02:09:38

Should have said it's a closed fb page

Niminy Fri 05-Jan-18 08:15:12

Hi OP, that's great that you have started exploring faith for yourself. I'd recommend Re:Jesus as a great place to start. It's got online study tools, individual stories, tips on developing your spirituality and lots more! It's really accessible and designed for people like you who are exploring.

lovelyjubilly Fri 05-Jan-18 08:36:37

I think someone told me recently that the Alpha Course is now available online.

beanhunter Fri 05-Jan-18 08:38:22

Would def recommend alpha but would strongly suggest attending in person. Most churches will run one and actually having the discussion as well as the teaching is really helpful. Usually the people running them are pretty nice too and there’s no pressure to become a regular attender afterwards.

lovelyjubilly Fri 05-Jan-18 15:35:32

Yes I'd agree that attending an aloha course would be better and more helpful than just watching the videos.

EvangelineM Sat 06-Jan-18 11:12:33

Thank you everyone for the help, much appreciated.

@Jaytee38 your group sounds lovely, please do send me the link, thank you.

Once I feel ready to go to a church, I will enquirer about an alpha course. smile

QWERTYGertie Wed 24-Jan-18 14:19:45

Be careful when choosing online courses and materials - there are many different types of Christianity, and you might not necessarily agree with them, and they might not point out that there are other groups which disagree.

The re:jesus website is a good one, as I recall. Alpha is a decent course (be aware that the 'speaking in tongues' that they practice is one of those disputed areas). Other courses are the Emmaus/Pilgrim courses, and Christianity Explored. If you don't fancy joining a group at a church just yet, you can buy the books used on those courses, if you prefer.

In terms of books, I always found John Stott helpful - his 'Basic Christianity' might be useful for you. Jaytee38's suggestion about an online group is a good one, either hers or another one. Less scary than face to face!

MotherMarysStylist Fri 26-Jan-18 14:10:42

I definitely wouldn't pay for any courses, I wouldn't mind supporting and helping you on your journey. I've studied theology and philosophy, I've been a Christian through choice since I was little.

Whatever course you take, you'll get that person / institutes ideas about faith. Where people in here can help and give you a broad range of ideas.

Maybe start a thread Journey to Faith, post questions, thoughts etc. I'm sure we'll all pull together to help you.

EddSimcox Thu 01-Feb-18 13:55:09

OP I was in your situation 3 years ago. I posted tons of questions on this board and lots of people patiently answered them. Keep the same username for a while so we get to know you and go ahead, as MotherMarysStylist says we'll help. smile

Millybingbong Sun 04-Feb-18 19:53:07

I would like the fb group too please?

Dalg Mon 05-Feb-18 12:02:04

I was in your situation 6 years ago. I can recommend being brave and going to a Church service or even trying a few different ones to find out which church you like best. That is what I did. Most churches are very welcoming. The minister of my local Church came to my home once a week to help me learn about Christianity. I was baptized when I was in my late 30's and became a member of the church. I moved house a few years ago and felt scared to try new churches but was brave at Christmas time and ventured into my local Church on Christmas eve and it was very nice. The minister has visited me at home and I am getting to know people.

Dalg Mon 05-Feb-18 12:02:32

I would love to join the Facebook group too!

Jaytee38 Tue 06-Feb-18 01:21:08

Can you message me if they wsnt to know the fb group as it's a closed group

CishAndFips Tue 13-Feb-18 17:56:02

Another one that would like the link please. Although I've always identified as a Christian, I have only recently discovered my faith and am keen to explore and develop it futher.

Jason118 Wed 28-Feb-18 20:49:25

OP if you are exploring faith, don't limit yourself to Christianity there's loads more to choose from than that! By looking at others you may find gods message elsewhere smilesmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: