Talk

Advanced search

Favourite hymns/spiritual music - any religion

(8 Posts)
tendergreenbean Thu 07-Dec-17 22:08:20

I never fail to be moved and uplifted by beautiful hymns, I often think that God must be working through the hearts of the writers and composers who create such wonderful music.

Even before finding God, I found that other music never touched me in quite the same way as spirituals - even as an atheist many songs had the power to reduce me to tears and unleash emotions I didn't know I had!

I thank the Lord every day for the wonderful gift of music and song He has given us, and the joy that it brings.
My personal favourites (off the top of my head) are:
- The Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Jerusalem (as a WI member I'm practically obliged)
- Take My Hand, Precious Lord
- Nearer My God to Thee
- Libere Me Dominae

Could I bother you all to share your favourites with me? I love discovering new music, and rediscovering forgotten oldies.

Peace be with you all x

TribbleToilandTrouble Thu 07-Dec-17 22:12:01

The Thief by Third Day, song from the POV of the thief at the cross. It's a gritty, heart wrenching song but the hope thats at the heart of it never fails to move me.

Also, 'there is a day' by Lou Fellingham

tendergreenbean Thu 07-Dec-17 22:40:06

I'd never heard The Theif before - thank you so much for sharing. Moved me to tears.

TribbleToilandTrouble Fri 08-Dec-17 06:42:51

I get choked up every time I listen to it as well.

OutwiththeOutCrowd Fri 08-Dec-17 09:32:16

I thought I'd add a modern but traditional-sounding one - Lux Aurumque by Eric Whitacre. A small Christmas gift to you from an atheist waiting for a parcel delivery.

The words - actually sung in Latin - are:

Light,
warm and heavy
as pure gold,
and the angels sing softly
to the newborn babe.

star

Fekko Fri 08-Dec-17 09:35:00

I used to work with someone who would belt out 'how great thou art'. She was a Rastafarian.

Fekko Fri 08-Dec-17 09:36:45

And it's getting to that time of year - a soloist singing 'holy night' gets me very emotional every time! I was once sniffing into my napkin at a city dinner when they switched out all the lights and put a spotlight on the most wonderful singer who belted this out.

tendergreenbean Fri 08-Dec-17 10:14:34

@outwiththeoutcrowd you've given me the idea of gifting family and friends a song each in their Christmas cards. I don't know how well they'll be received, but have just started putting some real thought into each song choice. A new song or a reminder of an old favourite is just such a wonderful thing - I hope they will all think so too!

@fekko I have much in common with your Rastafarian friend! I guess so much music translates to touch individuals in different ways. I know it's not a strictly "Rastafarian" song, but I've always listened to Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" through Christian ears and find it so simple yet so uplifting.
Oh I'd have been in my element at such a dinner! I remember a girl in the year above me singing it as a solo for the school nativity when I was about six. She had the voice of an angel, the parents were all weeping and I can remember potently the sheer awe and admiration I felt watching her. (I was relegated to kazoo playing, I sing like a strangled cat!)

Thank you all so much - woke up with dreadful toothache this morning but your lovely gifts have uplifted me so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now