Talk

Advanced search

Catholic guest at a Protestant Wedding

(20 Posts)
Emeralda1993 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:45:48

Hi there,

I am going to my first Protestant wedding at the weekend and am unsure if I should take communion or not? I am technically Catholic but not really practicing so it would not bother me either way – taking communion or not but I don’t wish to offend anyone or appear rude either way. Does anyone know the protocol?

DancingLedge Mon 04-Dec-17 14:56:42

I've been at Catholic weddings where there's Mass and Communion, but this hasn't been the case at any Protestant wedding ceremony I've been to.
Although this may be different in a very 'High' Anglican church, communion is not normally part of a Protestant wedding.

If there is communion in a service which a lot of non- churchgoers are likely to be attending, the officiant will normally give some guidance- eg, ' come up and receive communion, or if not eligible, come up and receive a blessing'. Either way, there will be people who don't go up for communion, and no one will take any offence.

Vitalogy Mon 04-Dec-17 15:07:25

I've never been to a C of E wedding where they have done communion.

iismum Mon 04-Dec-17 15:17:54

As above - there won't be communion.

But in general, the CoE welcome all confirmed members of any Christian denomination to take communion, so it would be up to you whether you felt you wanted to or not. If you'd rather not, you can still go up for a blessing - just don't put your hands out to receive the communion and the vicar will touch your head and bless you. Or else just stay in your seat - lots of people will be doing that.

sleepyhead Mon 04-Dec-17 15:19:52

There won't be communion, but Catholics are eligible to receive communion in all Protestant denominations that I'm aware of so it wouldn't be an issue if you did want to.

EBearhug Mon 04-Dec-17 15:25:52

The only weddings I've been to where anyone took communion, it's been bride and groom only, but I remember only two if the many weddings I've been to where that's happened. Usually no communion at all. Don't think I have ever been to a Catholic wedding.

But anyway, if the whole congregation did go up, I don't think they'd be bothered if you took communion, or just went for a blessing, or stayed seated and didn't go up at all, though individual churches could be different, I suppose.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 04-Dec-17 16:15:05

As others have said, there probably won’t be communion. But if there is they won’t be bothered by the fact that you are technically Catholic.

The issue comes from the Catholic side, but if you aren’t practicing then it probably isn’t an issue and you can go with whatever you want.

BelfastSmile Mon 04-Dec-17 16:23:02

There probably won't be Communion, unless you've specifically heard that there will be - it's not normally a part of a Protestant wedding.

However, if there is, then it will most likely be open to everyone in the congregation. The Roman Catholic Church, I believe, forbids its members from receiving Communion at any other church, but Protestant churches allow anyone to receive it, generally (there are a few denominations that don't, but they would be particularly unlikely to include it in a wedding anyway), so it's up to you.

If you do find yourself receiving Communion, just make sure you're not first in line, and then you can copy the person in front. You'll be given the bread first (generally eat it straight away, unless you're specifically told to wait), and then the "wine" (probably grape juice), which again you drink straight away. Say "Amen" on receiving each one. The wine might be in a tiny glass, or a large communal cup - if the cup, you take a small sip and then pass it back.

grasspigeons Mon 04-Dec-17 16:30:46

The Catholic in you shouldn't - but if you aren't practicing then the protestants wont mind.

Buxbaum Tue 05-Dec-17 14:44:49

Agree with pp - there will almost certainly not be communion (and you won't believe how short the ceremony is compared to a full nuptial mass!). You would be welcome to take communion but I believe most practising Catholics wouldn't.

However, I've never been given grape juice in an Anglican church?! It's always sweet wine, and quite potent.

BelfastSmile Tue 05-Dec-17 16:19:34

@Buxbaum we always have grape juice, but we're Methodist. I think it's in case of any alcoholics being present.

Ohyesiam Tue 05-Dec-17 17:15:26

It's not a full mass, it's a wedding ceremony, so you'll be spared communion

ZigZagandDustin Tue 05-Dec-17 17:22:35

As a rule of thumb, Catholic Churches don't recognise Protestant people but Protestant churches recognise catholic people. There are some odd and more 'devout' proddy churches I'm not familiar with but typically Protestant churches welcome anyone to take communion as their own choice. Catholic Churches mostly won't offer to protestants.

isittheholidaysyet Tue 05-Dec-17 19:24:47

Yes, as said above.

There won't be communion
Protestants will either welcome all to communion. Or all who usually receive at their own church (but it's up to you to decide if that means you).
BUT Catholic rules say Catholics should not recieve in a protestant church.

So it's all up to you.

Movablefeast Wed 06-Dec-17 20:33:51

The reasons communion is not open to all at Catholic churches is Catholics and Protestants have very different beliefs about communion. The same for Orthodox congregations - Protestants should not receive at an Orthodox church. That's one of the reasons Protestants started their own churches because they rejected the Catholic and Orthodox teaching on communion.

Tw1nsetAndPearls Wed 06-Dec-17 20:39:30

I had communion at my C of E wedding. Catholics can take communion in a C of E. Church. If they give communion the vicar will probably say all christians welcome

Jason118 Wed 06-Dec-17 21:16:50

It's all very confusing isn't it?

Hulder Wed 06-Dec-17 21:24:37

It would be really unusual for there to be communion.

Plus a large number of the guests probably won't be church-goers at all so even if there is, loads of people will be making random decisions and wondering what on earth they are supposed to do.

AnneElliott Wed 06-Dec-17 21:46:03

If it's high Anglican then they may have communion. The church we attend (with scouts) accepts Catholics who've received first holy communion.

But our catholic education church says you shouldn't accept communion in an Anglican Church.

So I guess it's up to you! If everyone looks like they're going up, I'd go up for a blessing.

notangelinajolie Wed 06-Dec-17 21:55:22

Not sure what you mean by protestant wedding? Do you mean a C of E? If you do - there will be no communion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now