Talk

Advanced search

If you believe in life after death

(35 Posts)
Council Sun 03-Dec-17 20:32:18

what happens if you re-marry/find love again?

My DGM basically spent the last few years of her life waiting to be re-united with DGD and I hope they are.

However, this has always niggled at me. If you're widowed young(ish) and re-marry, what happens when you have two or more much loved husbands in heaven?

nightshade Sun 03-Dec-17 20:34:33

That's generally why vows are 'to death do us part'..human laws and structures not holding relevance in an afterlife..

Council Sun 03-Dec-17 20:36:05

That makes sense. So, why so much talk of couples being together again?

Mishappening Sun 03-Dec-17 20:44:54

We are all together in death - our atoms return to the cosmic soup along with everyone else's.

Vitalogy Mon 04-Dec-17 07:14:31

They'll be no jealousy, attachment or ownership. We're all part of the whole.

sandytime Mon 04-Dec-17 07:24:54

I often wonder this too. I can imagine it becoming quite awkward for a few people. Seriously though, I do hope we are all reunited in the afterlifesmile

annandale Mon 04-Dec-17 07:27:34

In the Bible I'm sure I remember Jesus pointing out a woman who'd had seven husbands and commenting that she'd only been married to the first one. Possibly I was daydreaming.

This would mean eternity with my first husband. My greatest and only hope in life is that there is no afterlife.

purpleangel17 Mon 04-Dec-17 09:07:39

I imagine we have free will in Heaven the same as here and so just because someone else is in Heaven doesn't mean we have to spend time with them. But if an ex husband is both a nasty person and didn't repent it is unlikely he would be in Heaven?

annandale Mon 04-Dec-17 21:23:18

He did absolutely nothing wrong, we just weren't compatible. So we either have a situation where we delight in each other's company, in which case we are completely different people in Heaven than on Earth, or we don't, in which case it's not Heaven. And dh has to kind of hang around.

Or we die and that's it (please please please)

PoisonousSmurf Mon 04-Dec-17 21:24:29

Life after death sounds like the biggest nightmare ever! Dead is dead is dead.

nightshade Tue 05-Dec-17 00:08:40

I think @ council it is human hope and mortal limitations that make people believe this..

Once the human body jealousy neediness is gone we are free to explore relationships in a different format. ..I like to think as we 'are made perfect' in heaven then we will be able to make right the wrongs in our human relationships.

Abra1d Tue 05-Dec-17 00:12:11

Jesus just said there was no marriage in heaven.

TheFaerieQueene Tue 05-Dec-17 00:27:10

No. It will be after death as it was before we where born. I don’t find that frightening- though the process of dying is. So many people suffer horribly when they die and I worry that I will too.
I find the concept of a god who needs us to die to live forever and then makes the process so terrifying and painful for millions, is beyond twisted.

Iloveanimals Tue 05-Dec-17 00:33:16

Saying they're back together is comforting for us people left on earth to say. Helps us grieve better.

IvorHughJarrs Tue 05-Dec-17 00:39:06

I read somewhere that once we are free of our bodies we don't feel love in defined ways so love we feel for partners, children, parents, friends, etc all becomes the same so we could love any number of other souls

GerddwrEryri Tue 05-Dec-17 12:52:03

This is a really interesting one. DP has previously been married. I think either we are held by God and since God is eternal and God knows us all individually, we live on in Him. Or... there is something more than that after death and the feelings we feel hear on earth are completely different to how we feel in Heaven - there is no anger, jealousy, hatred, dislike etc and we are all at One.

I love the idea of being reunited in the sense that when we return to dust, we return to God in our purest form so essentially we are all reunited in death.

LilQueenie Thu 07-Dec-17 12:16:25

there is no jealousy in the afterlife and everyone is happy to share time with one another. The exception is that some do not evolve as so stubborn. Like narcissists are unlikely to evolve though they may do. They are also different areas dependant on your soul. you can visit lower realms but you cant visit higher ones. so if there is someone you really dont want to meet then its fine. you wont. Im betting the first husband is happy to see his widow in another relationship. They never truly want anyone to be alone.

BlackEyedKid Thu 07-Dec-17 12:26:01

It’s fascinating how people speak as if they know what happens 😁

There’s absolutely no reason to think there’s life after death in any form.

LilQueenie Thu 07-Dec-17 12:30:27

there is reason if you have enough experience of it.

goodgolly124 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:34:01

Hmm, there better be good seating arrangements up there to avoid awkward encounters wink

Helena17 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:34:54

I think there's life after what we have on earth but about what happens about our relationship with having more than one husbands, hmm.. wow I never really thought of that till now smile

annandale Thu 07-Dec-17 13:07:26

Lilqueenie I'm sorry but surely there isn't any possible experience of the afterlife.

LilQueenie Thu 07-Dec-17 13:10:48

Well myself and my whole family have had our experiences. Not everyone does.

BlackEyedKid Thu 07-Dec-17 13:19:40

Nonsense. People imagine things all the time for various reasons. Human perception, memory etc is just incredibly unreliable. It’s just silly.

LilQueenie Thu 07-Dec-17 13:28:30

I don't mind people having a different opinion but don't start with knocking others beliefs. Its not for you fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now