Talk

Advanced search

Advice on going to church

(10 Posts)
tangerino Tue 31-Oct-17 06:37:03

Hello

I’d like to start going to church. I’ve found a C of E church near my work that does “low mass” weekday lunchtimes. Could anyone answer a few questions?

- what would you expect at a service called low mass? Will it include hymns etc?

- I’m not confirmed. Can I just sit where I am while others take communion? I’ve heard that one can go up for a blessing instead- is that right? How do I make it clear that that’s what I’m doing?

Thank you!

LittleCandle Tue 31-Oct-17 06:58:44

I'm not C of E, but yes, you can just stay in your seat if you prefer. If you want to go for a blessing, in the Catholic church, you fold your hands over your chest and they know that way that you aren't going to take communion. I imagine its similar.

RaindropsAndSparkles Tue 31-Oct-17 07:04:06

At my church you take your service sheet if you don't want communion. Low mass is said not sung.

Lauperr Tue 31-Oct-17 07:06:04

I’ve never been to low mass but PP is correct, if you are not confirmed you can go up for a blessing. Just kneel and keep your hands down by your sides or behind your back. Go for it, I went to Church for the first time this year and I love it. If they do coffee afterwards stay for a chat if you can, I found my congregation lovely and friendly and they were incredibly welcoming.

Poshindevon Tue 31-Oct-17 07:13:01

A low mass in the C of E church has no music no hymns and is a simple service.
Not a really good introduction to attending church
As you are new when you go for the gfrst couple of times stay in ypur pew and wztch the procedure. Then speak to the vicar or curate and ask how you maybe blessed when others are taking bread and wine. You will find them very helpful

picklemepopcorn Tue 31-Oct-17 07:13:46

In our church we stand to take communion. Just follow what everyone else does, but clasp your hands or keep them by your side and bow your head.

If you get there a little early, you may be able to chat to someone who will help.

csa26 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:15:25

Most churches will have a system in place for people who don't wish to take part in communion, and should let you know clearly what it is. If you're concerned you could try arriving 10 minutes early when you can ask the vicar if he/she is at the door welcoming people. If you want to take communion though, you really don't have to be confirmed - at many churches nowadays you don't even have to be baptised.

In terms of what to expect: I'd expect a church offering 'low mass' to be on the Anglo-catholic end of the very broad C of E spectrum smile. So more traditional music - but a weekday lunchtime 'low' mass will probably be a pared-down short version so not sure whether there'd be hymns. Being more traditional, they might be more likely to suggest communion is for the baptised only (rather than something along the lines of 'if you know and trust Jesus as your saviour').

MrsJamin Tue 31-Oct-17 07:17:07

Sounds quite "high church" c of e, so very traditional. Is that the kind of church you're looking for?

kuniloofdooksa Tue 31-Oct-17 07:23:35

A "low mass" in a c of each church suggests that it's a church quite near to catholicism on the spectrum.

I would expect probably one or two hymns rather than the 5 or so you would get in a main Sunday eucharist. The various prayers that might be sung or chanted in a high mass would be said instead.

Most churches will have an announcement about what to do at communion either at the start of the service or immediately before the communion starts. Our church announces something like "If you usually receive communion when you go to church you are welcome to do so with us today. Otherwise you are very welcome to come forward for a blessing - please carry your service sheet with you to indicate that this is your wish"

I sometimes assist with the distribution of communion and it's always very clear - the people who are expecting communion are all empty handed with their hands on the altar rail ready to receive when we get to them, and those who want a blessing have their hands folded with a service sheet in them and have their heads bowed.

If you wish I would expect the priest would be able to to tell you about adult confirmation classes which larger churches would run regularly (and would welcome people from other nearby churches if this one doesn't have enough people to run a viable group)

Caulk Tue 31-Oct-17 07:25:43

I work for the CofE. Low mass will be a simple communion service - high mass would include a lot more pomp and circumstance and more people assisting. Low mass will usually just be the priest.
This will be an anglo-catholic church, which is quite high. The priest will be robed and at other services there will be a choir, id imagine. There is often, but not always less groups/courses/basic Christianity or explaining of stuff at an Anglo-catholic church. They are becoming more accessible but there may well not be instructions given.

During communion either stay where you are or go up and keep your arms by your side and bow your head. The priest will put their hand on your head or shoulder and pray for a blessing over you. During the main service there will be a lot of standing up and sitting down, and possibly the peace, where you shake hands with people and make peace with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now