Talk

Advanced search

Samhain greetings that aren't religious

(17 Posts)
Slimthistime Mon 23-Oct-17 20:31:29

hello
I'm an atheist and only just learning some quite basic stuff about this - they only taught us about "major world religions" etc in school

is there greeting that might be used by atheist to offer good wishes on the day?
Thanks.

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Oct-17 20:37:01

I am not aware of any particular
Wicca/Pagan greetings for Samhain, but it is worth you knowing that “Samhain” is pronounced “SOW-in”.

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Oct-17 20:38:27

SAW-in is probably a better way of saying it actually.

Slimthistime Mon 23-Oct-17 20:39:12

Thank you Bike

It's more for social media really. I think most people will think I'm madder than they already do if I start greeting them in person.

though I might....!

Slimthistime Mon 23-Oct-17 20:43:32

I probably should have said "Samhain greetings that don't refer to god".

Or blessings. But now I've realised I associate the word blessing with god when perhaps I shouldn't.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 23-Oct-17 21:25:13

Happy New Year would do, if it was in a religious but without mention of deities context.

Balonder Mon 23-Oct-17 21:27:56

I would pronounce Samhain SOWin. Sow as in female pig

Slimthistime Mon 23-Oct-17 21:32:17

Broomstick, I like that but I dint think people will understand it?

TooManyPaws Wed 25-Oct-17 22:31:26

I tend to say "Samhain blessings to you" or similar. I've only ever heard it as sow-en too. I don't consider it as new year - that's not universal amongst initiated Wiccans. As a Scot, Hogmanay is new year but a lot of people feel that spring is a time for the new year starting.

Slimthistime Thu 26-Oct-17 10:07:32

thanks

I suppose I associate "blessings" with a religion or a god so I don't like the word, but tbh I don't know the history of the word so I might be totally wrong.

it is quite depressing when you study anything and find so much of it is linked to religion.

Hope this is okay to ask here, as it's active, but I've seen a couple of Pagan festival type things advertised for Samhain in London, with no information about what happens.

What does happen at these things, will I be the odd one out if there are chants and the audience are supposed to respond and I don't know how?

also, is it mostly women? Ideally I'd prefer a women only one.

theatlantisbookshop.com/events/event/pagan-federation-london-samhain-open-ritual/

I bought a book that was meant to be an introduction to wicca and it's really not - plus it's full of specific sets of instructions for performing rituals - didn't explain anything about different types of witch. Should have saved money and just researched online.

Pooley83 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:07:19

Paganism is a religion that is logical, useful, resourceful, eco friendly, promotes equality and tolerant of people's individuality and religions - quite the opposite to Christianity and other religions. Basically Samhain is the recognition and celebration of the sun God's death and where the spirits of our ancestors and passed loved ones are able to enter the realms of earth and interact with the living souls of earth.

TooManyPaws Sun 29-Oct-17 20:26:03

Op, the PF open festival looks good. I suspect there will be a lot of people for whom it will be new or newish. Every similar thing that I have been to has had explanations first about what will be happening and what people are going to do. Chants are normally simple and can be picked up after a couple of repetitions - they're usually a couple of lines repeated many times. Why not contact the PF and ask? People are usually very welcoming. I don't know about women only ones but, if it helps, a friend credits Paganism with teaching her that men can be strong, kind, gentle and believing in equality after a lifetime of seeing the worst type of man through work and in her personal life.

TooManyPaws Sun 29-Oct-17 20:28:30

Oh, and there are Pagan atheists too grin

You can believe in gods or not. Or that they are archetypes in the universal unconscious. Or whatever. It's up to you.

GinAndSonic Sun 29-Oct-17 20:34:10

I wish people a good Samhain. Id call myself a pagan atheist. I'm working this year but will be setting candles and food out on the back step when I come home.

Slimthistime Sun 29-Oct-17 22:27:02

Thanks all

I have been thinking about it and I'm not a really a person for groups anyway, it was more I was just curious because something about it has struck a chord with me

I'm definitely going to read up more about it
it's already making me feel better about winter and that usually makes me a right grump

I've bought some nice nature prints for the flat and I saw a fox at the Tube station today, which cheered me up. (I don't see them where I live, I know they are here but for some reason I hardly ever see them).

speakout Mon 30-Oct-17 07:02:59

GinAndSonic - I am an atheist and a witch. glad to meet you.

MeriReu Mon 30-Oct-17 12:21:09

New Pagan here - still learning my place and very much a beginner.
It's so nice to meet others! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now