Talk

Advanced search

If you are Jewish, Christian or Muslim, would you mind reading this, please?

(8 Posts)

I posted on chat, looking for information about these religions. Then it occurred to me to post about it here too.

Here is the chat thread. I'd be grateful for any help!

Daffodil397 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:01:36

Hi I’m a Christian, Just read your really interesting thread, not sure I can add anything not already recommended but it has given me a few ideas about talking to my dd about different faiths and cultures (she’s only 1 at the moment, bit early!)
Not sure how easy it is for you as you said you are not in the U.K, but I find it easiest sometimes to get a picture from talking to individuals so I’d recommended trying to arrange meetings with people from these faiths and asking them to share a bit about their faith and culture, if that’s available to you.
In terms of info about Christianity, I’d echo previous posters.
Easter is the key event in the calendar. Christianity’s all about Jesus Christ, we believe that he is the son of God and that he died for us, whereas other Abrahamic religions believe that he is a prophet and not the son of God.
Depends how much time you want to give to Christianity but I’d recommend having a look at Mark’s gospel (it’s the shortest and most direct account of Jesus’s life and death). Or visit a church and request the pastor or priest to share some of the basics of the faith, I’m sure they would be more than happy to help with this.

Thank you!! I only just saw your reply but I jotted down a couple of notes from it. Thanks for replying.

I was planning on being finished with Judaism by Christmas, so I'll be starting Christianity by then and going through to Easter as that seems to be a good time frame in terms of Christian beliefs (birth to death etc).

Thanks for the tip about Mark's gospel.

MongerTruffle Sun 12-Nov-17 13:41:42

I think that the most important piece of information is that as all three are Abrahamic faiths, they all (arguably) believe in the same God.

Daffodil397 Mon 13-Nov-17 11:56:06

Hi Monger, yes that’s a very commonly held view, particularly among those who don’t have a faith in a God, possibly among some followers of the Abrahamic faiths as well.
As a Christian that is not a view I hold as we believe God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Jesus being both fully God and fully man is very central to the Christian faith as it teaches that in dying, Jesus took all our sin and suffering on him so we could be free and enjoy a relationship with God.
If I’m right (on less sure ground here lol) Judaism and Islam believe in one God and the existence of Jesus as a person, but that he was a prophet or teacher only.
That’s going fairly deep into the Christian belief of God as three in one or the Trinity, Psalmmead may not want to go that much into it if teaching an overview of all religions but anyway there it is as I understand it!

As I recently found out through my research, Muslims and Jews sometimes regard Christianity to be a polytheistic religion due to the trilogy which is an interesting perspective.

As far I know, the Old Testament is a common denominator between the Abrahamic religions, so I think there is an argument to say that the God figure is the same in each religion, but that his actions after the OT are not agreed upon between them.

samG76 Mon 13-Nov-17 14:08:26

Some Jews (mainly middle-eastern) take the view that Christianity is polytheist because of the Trinity. Other take the view that even if it is monotheist, the statues and other images of Christ make it idolotrous(?). Some Jews won't enter a church for this reason, even if only for sightseeing.

TooManyPaws Sun 19-Nov-17 18:22:44

I'm not any of these religions, being Wiccan, but there are some excellent downloads here www.interfaithscotland.org/resources/publications/ on the Scottish Interfaith Council's website, which explore tenets of faith and the approach to various aspects of life by the seven major faiths and others in the country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now