Talk

Advanced search

How to end a Christian prayer?

(9 Posts)
teaandakitkat Wed 11-Oct-17 22:33:00

So tomorrow I have to say a welcome prayer at a lunch group. I am not very comfortable doing this because my own personal prayers are quite informal. But this has to be more formal.
How do you generally end a prayer? By saying something like "In Jesus' name?" Is that right? I must have listened to hundreds and hundreds of prayers in my life and now I can't think what people say at the end. Help!

carnation2531 Wed 11-Oct-17 22:34:05

Amen, usually

Confutatis Wed 11-Oct-17 22:34:20

That's fine
Through Christ Jesus our Lord is common

teaandakitkat Wed 11-Oct-17 22:40:45

I know you say Amen, sorry I didn't make that clear. But I feel like I'm rabbiting on then suddenly say Amen. I feel like there should be some sort of form if words before that to warm people the end is coming.

Oh I am so over-thinking this!

dolphinbbq Wed 11-Oct-17 22:42:02

“Through Christ Jesus our Lord, Amen”.

headinhands Wed 11-Oct-17 22:55:11

Why don't you pray and ask him? grin

overnightangel Wed 11-Oct-17 23:02:08

"Lord, hear our prayer. Amen"

Heratnumber7 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:12:47

“For ever and ever, Amen”

Write out what you are planning to say. Keep it short.

Opening salutation , For the food we are about to eat, for the farmers who grew it for those who prepared it we give you thanks. Amen.

If you name Jesus in the opening salutation you don't have to do it again at the end. If you have started addressing God you can close in the name of Jesus. Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now