Talk

Advanced search

Expressing condolences to a muslim family

(12 Posts)
SadNews Wed 04-Oct-17 12:29:51

We've just heard some very sad news and would like to express sympathy.
I am getting a card, is there anything else I can give/send? I've googled and apparently flowers are not a good idea.

Many thanks.

speakout Wed 04-Oct-17 16:16:27

Why does religion have to come into it?

Surely we all feel loss in common?

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 04-Oct-17 16:19:49

If flowers are a no and you presumably don't know about alcohol (I know a lot of Muslims who drink) then maybe something like a tin of biscuits etc to go with the card.

MonsBinary Wed 04-Oct-17 16:21:06

hmm Because as the Original (and only) post says different religions have different ways of mourning. She’s read she shouldn’t bring flowers, unlike in most Christian churches where it would be expected.

teaortequila23 Wed 04-Oct-17 16:31:06

Flowers are not a no I have many Muslim friends and family and I would just send a card saying 'may god be with you'.

bluedemilune Wed 04-Oct-17 16:51:07

food and things that can be served are really appreciated as the family are likely to get lots of guests over this time. when i hear of a bereavement i normally head over with a big pot of rice and curry, either for the family to eat as everyone will be too sad to cook, or for the legions of guests that turn up to give their condolences that need serving.

LiveLifeWithPassion Wed 04-Oct-17 16:55:19

I’m sure they’ll be appreciative of whatever you do, even if you do give flowers.
It’s a lovely gesture in your part and that’s how it probably would be received.

Ttbb Wed 04-Oct-17 16:58:35

From a Muslim family. We normally plant flowers on the grave rather than having cut flowers. Generally, when someone dies, people just come around and bring food

speakout Wed 04-Oct-17 17:17:09

I don't think many christians/ atheists would send flowers to a bereaved person.

That's done for the funeral surely- I don't think it's a very sensitive thing to do to a newly bereaved person

SadNews Wed 04-Oct-17 19:33:14

speakout how very helpful hmm

ttbb blue thank you! I can't go round as too far but I could have something delivered. Could I send biscuits or cakes?

live you are right, thanks.

LewisFan Wed 04-Oct-17 22:56:16

It's highly likely the funeral, if the death was today, will be tomorrow so may be best to get it delivered for the weekend?

Usernamealreadyexists Sun 15-Oct-17 08:59:35

You are a very thoughtful person. As a Muslim who went through a bereavement, any expression of condolelnces was very much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now