Advanced search

Help me understand ,

(10 Posts)
drinkswineoutofamug Sun 24-Sep-17 22:27:02

I went to a get together of a friends last week. The majority of people there were, I think methodists . Not a problem. I'm interested in other people's point of view. I was brought up RC. I was informed that I should be baptised and immersed in water to have my name in the book of life . As to be christened was just a warm up. Now, I'm not a great believer anymore, but I'm interested in why the methodists didn't think me being christened was good enough.
Yet donating to food bank would get me to heaven on judgement day.

PeaceAndLove1 Sun 24-Sep-17 23:26:20

Sounds like they're making it up as they go along, what ever suits their needs at the time. I'd try and avoid these met ups again, if it were me.

MsAwesomeDragon Sun 24-Sep-17 23:29:32

If you were brought up RC, you've already been baptised. Catholics baptise babies, so it's already done and you've been claimed as Catholic.

Justaboy Sun 24-Sep-17 23:31:53

Pah! that's nuthin.

You should try the Witnesses! or better Still Plymouth brethren;!

That'll open your eyes;)

annandale Sun 24-Sep-17 23:33:37

Well, christening babies is quite odd for Christians (I'm from a baby-baptising family). All rituals involving babies are statements of intent about their upbringing, as it would be strange to believe that a ceremony at 4 months determined anything else about the future adult. Adult baptism does make more sense.

PlasticPatty Sun 24-Sep-17 23:35:40

Keep to a path that suits you. Avoid cunts cults.
There's no little man on my cross. I like to be correctly labelled.

MsAwesomeDragon Sun 24-Sep-17 23:39:43

It does make more sense to baptise as an adult, until you bring in the Catholic belief that you can't go to heaven until you've been baptised. At that point it suddenly makes a lot more sense to baptise babies asap in case they die before they can make their own choice. Catholics do have an "adult" ceremony, confirmation, which is often performed as teens (so not quite adult but considered old enough to make your own decisions), which serves the same purpose as other denominations baptising adults.

drinkswineoutofamug Sun 24-Sep-17 23:40:38

Thank you. Well I don't intend to have a dunking any time soon. And don't intend either to go to another shindig. Christening , weddings and funerals from now on.

drinkswineoutofamug Sun 24-Sep-17 23:41:52

I have had first commune and I was confirmed as a teenager. So I'm guessing my soul is safe

Jaytee38 Sat 04-Nov-17 04:58:28

Ok so first I'm not Catholic so we may vary on things.

What we profess in that we have faith in Jesus and believe in his sacrifice. For this we repent and turn from sin. We accept we are saved by Grace and not by works of our own.

True conversion puts your name in the book of life.

The bible talks of baptism as it's a public announcement of faith. It has to be done by consent. So although I was christened as a child it does not count as a baptism.

Though baptism is highly advised it does not affect salvation.

Hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now