Talk

Advanced search

Mark of the Beast. The Bible

(18 Posts)
smellybeanpole Sat 23-Sep-17 17:06:44

In your opinion what could this be?

BizzyFizzy Sat 23-Sep-17 17:30:11

Difficult to comment on one small phrase. Revelation 13 is full of complex imagery.

The beast is the forces opposed to the church, such as paganism is even forces masquerading as the church. The mark of the beast is a mark on those who follow these forces, with symbolism taking from marking, for example, slaves.

smellybeanpole Sat 23-Sep-17 18:25:01

I always found this really difficult to understand. What should I be looking out for ? I actually thought it was the literal meaning. An actual mark.

BizzyFizzy Sat 23-Sep-17 18:33:03

It could be an actual mark. This is prophesy, so goes well beyond biblical times.

I think there are some Christians who are extremely anti-tattoo, for example, and this is one of the passages they use to support their views.

You could think of all the tangible trappings of our lives that separate us from God, and view these as the marks.

smellybeanpole Sat 23-Sep-17 18:40:02

Good point.
I was Just thinking if it's not clear . How can you protect yourself ? I know this is where the very narrow road comes in. But with so many christians having so many different views who are we supposed to listen to ? Actually I've never even heard my church teach this.

Jason118 Sat 23-Sep-17 20:19:50

Are you saying you are actively looking out for people who may have a mark that you could construe as being evil? Or are you trying to understand the concept in an abstract way?

speakout Sun 24-Sep-17 06:30:15

Christianity needs a bogeyman. Go figure.

smellybeanpole Sun 24-Sep-17 10:50:57

Jason. yes. Just trying to understand the concept.

Userwhocouldntthinkofagoodname Sun 24-Sep-17 15:24:05

Is this to do with the Rapture being canceled yesterday?

speakout Sun 24-Sep-17 15:31:02

Userwhocouldntthinkofagoodname

Oh no and the weather was quite good for it too.

speakout Sun 24-Sep-17 15:34:24

Many of my family are fundamental Baptists.
The " mark of the beast" is taken quite literally.

To do with trading, possibly barcodes or the new fingerprint payment system.
Personally I think Cernunnos gets a very bad press.

PerfectlyPooPoo Sun 24-Sep-17 16:15:33

My grandfather used to say it would be like a barcode people would have tattooed on them. Without you wouldn't be able to buy anything so those that had faith would effectively starve and then be welcomed into the Kingdom of Heaven.

He felt very strongly about this and used to talk about it a lot.

Userwhocouldntthinkofagoodname Sun 24-Sep-17 16:15:44

Ah I just googled it... So the Anti-Christ will be born with a birth mark of 666 on them so we will know who he is. Part of the tripartite of the Devil, Horned One and the Anti-Christ. You dont hear about them as much anymore, is the church sidelining them because of the optics?

cheapskatemum Sun 24-Sep-17 20:30:03

I thought it was 666. So far I've only seen it on a heavy metal album cover

headinhands Sun 24-Sep-17 22:45:20

It will be whatever is in the nr distant future. It was barcodes 30 years ago. Now it's fingerprint tech. When that comes and goes without any hoohaa it will then be the next up and coming development. Just far away enough to make you think the apocalypse is a scary reality but not so far away it doesn't affect you.

Jason118 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:25:23

Another fear led control device then?

smellybeanpole Tue 26-Sep-17 16:53:22

Thank you all. I'm thinking it's literal too. So a barcode would be needed if you needed to buy and sell with.

Vitalogy Sun 22-Oct-17 18:54:23

I thought it was 666. So far I've only seen it on a heavy metal album cover Oh it's all over the place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now