Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Left Islam

(11 Posts)
ibelieveinathingcalledlove Wed 31-May-17 18:49:49

I was reading another thread about atheism and noticed that most on it were former christians.

I wonder if there are any ex Muslims here that would like to talk about leaving Islam?

I was born in a Muslim community and I tried to have faith. After reading the Quran, I decided to leave the religion for good. I don't pray and fast etc. But for safety reasons I keep my religious status a secret. Now that I have kids I wonder what will happen as people see them as Muslims.

hmmwhatatodo Wed 31-May-17 23:00:50

I don't quite understand. Did you have the children before or after? Is their dad Muslim? Are you still with him? What do the children think they are?

newtlover Wed 31-May-17 23:08:17

my understanding is that having been muslim, leaving the faith is very severely frowned on, whereas while some christians frown on atheism it's not such a massive deal.

ibelieveinathingcalledlove Wed 31-May-17 23:51:11

My husband is the same as me. Outwardly muslim but in reality not a Muslim. Kids are too young to decide but I don't give them a muslim lifestyle and I haven't taught them Islamic scripture.
It's not so much frowning that I am worried about. Where we come from and where we can Often visit, the punishment for leaving Islam is death.
What makes life hardest is that I may have to teach my kids to act like Muslims for survival.

hmmwhatatodo Thu 01-Jun-17 00:02:20

Can't you move somewhere else ?

ibelieveinathingcalledlove Thu 01-Jun-17 14:47:57

Hmmm... I am fi where I am, in between two countries, one Muslim one non Muslim.

I am here to find anyone else with similar experience.

ollieplimsoles Fri 02-Jun-17 20:29:09

Hi op,

I dont know what stage you are at in your faith but please do join our atheism thread! Dont feel put off, I started it to share experiences of leaving a religion.

Do you have an end game in mind? ie, do you want to leave your faith in the future for sure?
Its abominable that you feel to frightened to be your true self, don't put yourself in any danger til you have worked out a plan flowers

ollieplimsoles Fri 02-Jun-17 20:35:12

Just googled 'leave Islam support' and I can't find any one, decent place online at all, not even a forum. Quara had a couple of questions about it that could be worth researching. Its awful there should be a dedicated website offering support for those wanting to leave but i don't know, maybe its too dangerous?

helpimitchy Sat 03-Jun-17 22:30:55

Some info here

opinionatedfreak Mon 05-Jun-17 12:31:53

Interesting. I assume (probably wrongly) that most people don't really have faith.... So am always surprised when friends/colleagues reveal that they actually pray or go to church/mosque/synagogue.

This is probably influenced by my own beliefs and that of my social circle butI do think it is reflective of modern Britain. huge terrorist atrocity on Saturday night - solace and comfort was gained by the masses at the Ariana Grande hosted onelove concert not from organised religion.

I wonder if those around you are really as "faith active" as you think?

whataboutbob Wed 07-Jun-17 19:52:28

Google "List of ex-Muslim organisations" Wikipedia has a page on this, there are organisations in many countries. I think the German one is particularly active, I remember reading about it, lots of brave people speaking out about leaving the religion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now