Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask if, if you're a Muslim woman, do you pray at the mosque?

(6 Posts)
lucydogz Thu 20-Apr-17 22:23:10

I'm not starting this for a bunfight, but am interested to hear a Muslim woman's view on this.... I've recently chatted to some Muslim women and they, knowing I'm a Christian, were chatting about me going to church. I was really surprised, when I asked them which mosque they went to, all of them said that they and their daughters didn't go but prayed at home instead. Is this usual? Is a mosque seen as a men's space?

Niminy Thu 20-Apr-17 22:41:31

It depends. Some mosques have a space for women and some don't.

Ladyvird135 Tue 25-Apr-17 21:26:45

I work in an area with a few mosques, and have visited one. Just an in Judaism, they separate men and women for prayer, although women are allowed in the mosque. Two of them near me have a separate room or building for women.
Interestingly, an imam told me that as well as Islamic principles, a reason to do it separately is so that men and women are spared the embarrassment of praying with each others backsides in front of them. Which makes sense smile

Scaredycat3000 Wed 26-Apr-17 09:55:27

each others backsides in front of them
It does make perfect sense, I wonder which came first the practical solutions or misogamy, christianity has managed misogamy perfectly well without separation during prayers.

lucydogz Wed 26-Apr-17 10:08:52

FWIW, there was a tradition (I'm not sure when it stopped) of there being seperate areas for unmarried young men and women.
Coming back to mosques though, I find it surprising that the moslem women I know (and their daughters) just don't go to the mosque.

malaguena Wed 26-Apr-17 12:19:42

I don't pray at the mosque often simply because I have young children and it is quite a hassle to get there, plus friday prayers are very very busy and I am always worried about them running off while I pray. I used to go very often before I had children, and when I only had my eldest, but unfortunately it is a struggle when you don't have a mosque within walking distance. In Islam, it is mandatory for men to pray all their prayers in congregation, whereas women can pray anywhere, which is why many simply pray at home. It doesn't mean that mosques are seen as a male space, and women are encouraged to attend whenever it's practical. I love having a women only space, and I actually often stop by to breastfeed my youngest when I am out and close to a mosque. Also, islamically women are perfectly allowed to pray with the men, and I have done so in places where there was no separate area. I think many of us just like to have our own space, just like non- muslim women value women- only groups/ activities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now