Advanced search

Can a person who was confirmed a RC become a minister in CofE

(29 Posts)
bootygirl Mon 27-Mar-17 22:05:19

I ve joined the general vestry in my church. I was brought up Roman Catholic. I just keep feeling this calling to perhaps enter religious life. But if I can't then I prefer to know now.
So is it possible?

Flightywoman Mon 27-Mar-17 22:11:07

I suppose you would need to be baptised and confirmed in the C of E, but since Anglican vicars can now convert to the Catholic Church and become priests and take their wife and child if they're married I guess it's possible!

FrancisCrawford Mon 27-Mar-17 22:17:51

No, you would need to be baptised again.

The Creed, which is the same in both Churches, says "I acknowledge one baptism".
If your minister is happy for you to be a communicant member if the church, ask to have a chat about your faith. I'm sure he or she will be only to happy to talk to you and answer any questions. If you aren't a communicant member, then do approach the minister and find out how you can join the church. It might be as simple as some informal chats about your faith.

Don't be afraid - ministers are there to minister to the needs of their congregation. You are already a member of the vestry and so playing an important part in the life of the church, so I'm sure the minister will want to help you.

FrancisCrawford Mon 27-Mar-17 22:19:18

Sorry, that should read "you would not need to be baptised again".

Doublegloucester Mon 27-Mar-17 23:53:20

You can get 'received into the c of e'. Then you're a proper c of e person, and wouldn't have a prob being ordained.

bootygirl Tue 28-Mar-17 14:18:53

francis I am a communicant member of church.

Thanks for the replies guys.

FrancisCrawford Tue 28-Mar-17 15:53:59

Best wishes, booty

I have a friend who is currently studying to take holy orders.

thegreenheartofmanyroundabouts Tue 28-Mar-17 17:33:43

Here is the page for C of E vocations

All denominations will have something similar.

bootygirl Tue 28-Mar-17 19:38:51

thegreen thank you for the link

Tiggles Thu 30-Mar-17 11:31:20

I was confirmed as a Methodist and am about to be ordained into the Anglican Church. I had to be re-confirmed as an Anglican before I started my training, as although my confirmation 'counted' to be able to take communion, it didn't count enough to be a vicar, if that makes sense.

bootygirl Thu 30-Mar-17 12:12:52

tiggles. On reading the thegreen provided I think I am covered as my confirmation was done by bishop with chrism. But being reconfirmed would nt bother me.
Do you mind me asking what age you started & how long the training took.
I am 43 & not sure if I ll be too 'old' to retrain.

Tiggles Thu 30-Mar-17 13:38:19

I am 40 and have been training for the last 2 years. I am Church in Wales but I think Church of England is fairly similar. I got turned down the first time, then had to wait 2 years before I could go back for selection. I am training part time and because of the way the CinW training works (everyone is able to do the academic study not just people training for vocations) I am 5 years into a 6 year theology degree, which I will complete in my first year of curacy. If I hadn't been so far into the degree I might have had to do longer official training if that makes sense.
I think in terms of full time training that CinW and CofE are similar in that if you are under 30(ish) you do 3 years and over 30 is 2 years.

thegreenheartofmanyroundabouts Thu 30-Mar-17 20:06:42

I was ordained at 49. I started the formal discernment process at 45ish. I did three years part time training which was excellent and topped up my theological qualifications with a masters in curacy. There was a mass scramble for paperwork proving that many of us were baptised and confirmed before ordination. It is fairly normal.

bootygirl Thu 30-Mar-17 22:49:49

thegreenheart this is going to sound really stupid. But I have no Qualifications in theology. So would I need to do a bachelor degree along side my training?
I ve a degree but it's management based

NoRoomForALittleOne Thu 30-Mar-17 23:26:21

My DH was baptised in the RC church and is now a C of E Rev. If you haven't been confirmed then you can do that in the C of E. You can be welcomed in to the C of E by the bishop if you've already been confirmed. If you do that, make sure that you get some official record of the event or you'll have to do it again!

Niminy Fri 31-Mar-17 11:49:53

bootygirl I was ordained last year at the grand old age of 54 so age is definitely no barrier! If you are selected for training in the CofE your training will include academic theological study - not necessarily a whole degree though.

bootygirl Fri 31-Mar-17 12:06:23

niminy. That's great! So I would nt need to do a theology degree on top of the three years training?

I am only exploring my feelings on being called to serve. I just did nt want to have a yearning for something I could nt do.
I tentatively mentioned it to DH & he was supportive if doubting my 'BS' tolerance!

Tiggles Fri 31-Mar-17 12:17:22

In the CinW you only have to have a Diploma in Theology to be a vicar the full degree is optional. So 4 years part time study or 2 years full time.

FrancisCrawford Fri 31-Mar-17 12:41:53

I've attended a confirmation where two of the people were retaking their confirmation vows.

thegreenheartofmanyroundabouts Fri 31-Mar-17 13:02:27

Part of the training will include academic stuff which might lead to all or some of a degree. Most of us on my course had a degree in something but it was either a long time ago or in a complexity different subject so we all had to learn how to write essays or on the case of the engineers and computer programmers how to write more than bullet points and diagrams. We all survived! If you are feelings nudge towards vocation then it is worth attending a diocese vocations event as there is loads of stuff you can do without wearing a collar.

bootygirl Fri 31-Mar-17 14:27:31

Thanks for the kind replies.
I 've been tentatively asked to get involved more in the running of the Church is select vestry. But also with the development of the parish in line with house prayer groups ext.
Apparently I show leadership skills 😁

bootygirl Fri 31-Mar-17 14:29:34

Sorry new phone should be 😁😊 emoji

Toddlerteaplease Wed 05-Apr-17 18:19:54

You would not need to be baptised again. Baptism is the only sacrament that is transferable between the denominations. I was re confirmed as an Anglican to RC convert but I think the Anglican Church is much more flexible. And you are allowed to receive the sacraments in the COf E but C of E are not allowed to receive in the RC church.

FrancisCrawford Thu 06-Apr-17 07:09:54

Not true

Many Catholic Churches allow CofE to take mass

FrancisCrawford Thu 06-Apr-17 07:10:42

Marriage is another sacrament that is recognised by different denominations

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: