Talk

Advanced search

When fasting makes you weak

(12 Posts)
Worldapart Sat 11-Mar-17 16:00:42

I know many religions have a period of fasting during their year. What happens when the fasting makes you very weak and tired, almost but not quite ill? Do you just plough on?
Would love to know if there are exemptions in different religions and how strictly people abide by them.

gabsdot Sat 11-Mar-17 18:36:33

IMO fasting is about showing devotion to God through sacrifice. If you can't manage a full 24 hrs without food and water, what about just water for 24 hrs or one small meal.
God will recognise our efforts.

Alice212 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:44:13

worldapart "almost but not quite ill?"

you're just on the edge of being ill? Stop.

Also please seek medical advice if on any meds or have any underlying conditions - many religions have exemptions for this or if you are pregnant etc - though I have to declare myself and say that I would always advise against anything that makes you feel unwell. I know some people like to push through, but you asked for opinions so that's mine!

SingaSong12 Sat 11-Mar-17 19:05:00

I only know about Catholicism and some information on Islam. In both those whose health would be harmed by whatever fasting from food/drink are not required to, in fact they should not fast in a way that would harm them. That also applies if fasting from food/drink will harm a pregnant or nursing mother.) There are other suggestions of things to do or not do instead. (Muslims don't have one single body giving rulings so I don't know if it applies across the board - I'm a Catholic).

Worldapart Sat 11-Mar-17 20:17:29

Alice - I probably made it sound worse than it is. I've been getting headaches (which I think is caffeine withdrawal) and extremely tired to the point of falling asleep while looking after my children. I'm not pregnant/breastfeeding and have no underlying conditions. I just feel a bit weak and pathetic!

skerrywind Sun 12-Mar-17 06:53:39

God will recognise our efforts.

Not necessarily.

MyUsernameIsInvalid Sun 12-Mar-17 14:12:32

Skerrywind In what way would God not recognise efforts? Which religion are we talking about?

skerrywind Sun 12-Mar-17 15:21:37

Because we can safely say that god doesn't exist.

honestlywhatswrongwithme Sun 12-Mar-17 15:22:44

I know I'm Islam, if you start to become ill you can eat/drink on the basis you will make it up when you are able. Nursing/pregnant/ menstruating women don't have to fast. But you have to be really struggling not to fast xx

honestlywhatswrongwithme Sun 12-Mar-17 15:23:18

*in Islam

MyUsernameIsInvalid Sun 12-Mar-17 19:42:41

Haha Skerry you are funny.

skerrywind Sun 12-Mar-17 19:46:16

user= glad I can amuse you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now