Talk

Advanced search

Ds is getting confirmed on Sunday

(10 Posts)
Enko Wed 08-Mar-17 19:00:43

I wanted to share it somewhere that people would get how big and wonderful a experience this is. Most look at me a bit odd.

I am from Denmark and it is a huge big deal to get confirmed over there. Big huge parties and lots of cards presents. We are doing a bit of a mix of Danish and British traditions so going out for a meal but just family and 1 of his Godmothers (the other is sadly not well enough to make it and Godfather is in Australia now)

I am just really looking forward to seeing him in church and reaffirming his faith. He is the first of my children to have chosen to do this. 1 is considering it and the other 2 wont go there..

BackforGood Wed 08-Mar-17 19:13:02

I get you Enko. I was very proud of my ds and dd1 when they chose to stand up in front of the public at large and commit to their faith, having examined it and thought about it for some time. It was a lovely service and quite a few of us went out to lunch afterwards. I hope you have as lovely a day as we did smile

Abrahamkin Wed 08-Mar-17 20:00:15

COngratulations to your son! And especially that you are prioritising what confirmation really means! Most of the children I know here (I'm in DK too) mainly get confirmed for the money/gifts, which I find sad.

nottakenpersonally Wed 08-Mar-17 20:01:20

How exciting! Congratulations.

Enko Wed 08-Mar-17 22:31:20

We are in the UK so I actually think it takes on a deeper meaning when they chose to do so. Though for me when I was confirmed it was very much a spiritual thing. I had really not considered presents at all (did not come from a well to do family so didnt think I would get much - I was very spoilt though and that part was lovely but really more a extra than the main event for me)

I am really looking forward to it.

EddSimcox Wed 08-Mar-17 22:34:53

That is really great Enko.

Sadly my DC show no interest at all in my faith, so I'm a bit envious!

sadandanxious Thu 09-Mar-17 09:51:31

That's fantastic Enko grin how old is your DS?

It's so wonderful you're prioritising what it actually means, like Abrahamkin says. I remember when I was confirmed I was the only adult, the others were all between 11 and 10 and 12. Most of them were only getting confirmed because their parents pushed them too, it was quite sad really. I think it's fantastic you're allowing them to choose for themselves.

I hope you have a wonderful day flowers

shitgibbon Fri 10-Mar-17 04:26:29

Congratulations to your son! This is a huge moment for him and I'm so pleased to hear that he has chosen to follow Jesus. It means so much more when it is a personal choice, and I hope that his relationship with God will continue give him fulfillment and guidance throughout his life.

Enko Fri 10-Mar-17 19:23:31

He is 15 so old enough to get this is a serious decision to make. His best friend is also getting confirmed and oddly dd3s best friend too. I have never discussed with any of my 4 if they wished to get confirmed he si ply came one day and told me he had arranged to go to lessons to be confirmed. Really very proud of him for doong so. Dd1 is considering it i have said wait 1 year mostly because i want her to feel certain with the choice.

sadandanxious Wed 15-Mar-17 20:25:15

Hi Enko how did the confirmation go? I hope you all had a lovely day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now