Talk

Advanced search

Where to start with the bible?

(5 Posts)
ilovewelshrarebit123 Mon 06-Mar-17 01:29:24

I've been going to church for about 6 months now, I take my 9 year old and she goes off to junior church and loves it.

I feel a bit of a fraud though, I know nothing about the bible, I haven't even got one.

I've looked on amazon and there are so many to choose from so I don't know which to get?

Also how do I go about studying it, should I start from the beginning and just read (that seems so strange obvious)!

The church is a baptist church, so friendly and I've been made to feel very welcome. But I can't bring myself to ask about the bible.

I've decided to take up the offer for the next group they do for new Christians, which starts from the beginning and people have said it's really helpful.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Jaytee38 Mon 06-Mar-17 01:48:00

For reading the bible I'd start at Matthew the Mark, like and John.
Ask for a beginner's devotional guide starting in the the books mentioned. The study guides give you a bit to read and think about then normally a short prayer.
Translations of bible vary. For a beginner the new international version or NLT are both good.

Enjoy and feel free to pm me Qsif you like.

Tom Wright has written a series of books where he goes through a book of the bible giving commentaries, background and things to think about. They are called 'name of book' for Everyone. Start with the gospels. Mark is the shortest and was written first. Luke and Matthew were written next and John last and you could read them in that order. Or not but start with the gospels and not the OT.

nottakenpersonally Mon 06-Mar-17 07:02:12

I would recommend a Life Application NIV Study Bible. It has notes explaining nearly everything!

sadandanxious Mon 06-Mar-17 16:34:19

The life application one recommended by nottakenpersonally is fantastic! I got given that when I was confirmed a few years back and I love it.

Also it's a bit controversial but perhaps Rob Lacey's "The word on the street" is an interesting version and I personally found it easy to get into which then made it easier to delve into a proper version.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now