Talk

Advanced search

Provocative bible reading

(7 Posts)
ElvishArchdruid Fri 24-Feb-17 04:28:25

I like to read the bible daily, this was today's treat. I think it's honestly really good advice.

Reading 1 SIR 6:5-17
A kind mouth multiplies friends and appeases enemies,
and gracious lips prompt friendly greetings.
Let your acquaintances be many,
but one in a thousand your confidant.
When you gain a friend, first test him,
and be not too ready to trust him.
For one sort is a friend when it suits him,
but he will not be with you in time of distress.
Another is a friend who becomes an enemy,
and tells of the quarrel to your shame.
Another is a friend, a boon companion,
who will not be with you when sorrow comes.
When things go well, he is your other self,
and lords it over your servants;
But if you are brought low, he turns against you
and avoids meeting you.
Keep away from your enemies;
be on your guard with your friends.
A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter;
he who finds one finds a treasure.
A faithful friend is beyond price,
no sum can balance his worth.
A faithful friend is a life-saving remedy,
such as he who fears God finds;
For he who fears God behaves accordingly,
and his friend will be like himself.

Rockpebblestone Sat 25-Feb-17 07:56:51

Was confused for a while, as my copy of the Bible does not include this and then I realised it is from the Apocrypha.

What struck me is how, even though this is centuries old, not that much has changed regarding people's relationships with each other, people still have the same problems with friendships to this day.

I think being kind is never bad advice. It seems sad that it warns not to trust people too readily but then again realistic as everyone has faults and is capable of betraying others. The last few lines suggest to me that a true reverence for God means that a person should be a good friend and recognise and prise this quality in others.

skerrywind Sun 26-Feb-17 08:09:10

*For he who fears God behaves accordingly,
and his friend will be like himself.*

I understand that christians "love" god- how can you do that to someone that you fear?

Rockpebblestone Sun 26-Feb-17 09:00:22

skerry, in answer to your question, I think true love does include an aspect of fear. If I love someone, they are prised, deeply respected, I fear 'letting them down', I feel protective of their feelings and happiness.

For example when I became a mother I was fearful to do the very for my DC. For example, if a person was to meet someone famous, they deeply admire they would be nervous. I love my family, but feel a nervous anticipation when giving them a special gift.

I think fear is wrapped up in love.

Rockpebblestone Sun 26-Feb-17 09:01:32

^that should read "very best". Typo.

skerrywind Sun 26-Feb-17 11:21:10

I have to admire the wriggly discussion stance that christians take- as slippery as a slimy serpent.

Rockpebblestone Sun 26-Feb-17 16:30:13

skerry, I don't understand why my answer to the question you asked would prompt such a response. What about it, exactly, is 'slippery as a slimy serpent'?

This thread is simply about poster' thoughts on the passage quoted by the OP. I don't really understand the relevance of a (derogatory) evaluation of particular poster's thoughts on the subject, including the 'stance' of all Christians in this, to boot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now