Talk

Advanced search

Bible Study

(23 Posts)
ElvishArchdruid Sat 18-Feb-17 12:06:39

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining a bible study, where we discuss I reading from the bible. This could be as frequently or infrequently as you wish. It would be good for those who can't get out to bible study classes, or theologians/philosophers who really enjoy interpreting the bible.

We could as a group select a book from the bible and read it, then discuss it further. Would anyone be interested?

2sleepingdogs Sat 18-Feb-17 12:12:36

I would be interested - I am not a Christian though and have a very limited knowledge of the Bible and Theology generally.

temporarilyjerry Sat 18-Feb-17 13:14:44

I'd be interested.

BroomstickOfLove Sat 18-Feb-17 19:09:15

I'd be interested.

BizzyFizzy Sat 18-Feb-17 20:37:39

Count me in

Etihad Sat 18-Feb-17 20:41:46

That's a great idea. I am currently doing one of those bible in a year things and am ending up googling to make sense of some parts. It would be great to focus on one book and be able discuss things with others.

I'm always keen on Bible study and would suggest the gospel of Mark as it is the shortest and we could start with chapter one and see how we go.

It is worth remembering that there are different approaches to the authority of the Bible within Christianity and on these boards and we would need to be aware that what happens in our churches is local custom and practice and not normative for all Christians.

00100001 Sun 19-Feb-17 08:43:08

What methods will you be using?

Well my Greek is a bit rusty so looking at the different translations is a good start. A bit of history and some context always helps. Is that what you mean by method?

00100001 Sun 19-Feb-17 08:49:47

There are study techniques such as Sacred Imagination or havrutah

Can you say a bit more about these? I've not come across them before.

ElvishArchdruid Mon 20-Feb-17 03:20:08

I was thinking we could come to a consensus then look at different books in the bible from a wide range of angles, such as history, sociology, theology & philosophy.

Also looking to see what we perceive the message is, which can differ from person to person.

I'd say it doesn't matter what faith you are, including the flyingspaghettimonster, it's a book that's stood the test of time.

What ideas do other people have? It would be interesting to get an original source of some passages to see how they've translated.

The website Biblegateway has just about all the translations you could ever want and you can get parallel versions set up. I tend to compare NRSV which we use in church with NIV which comes from a more evangelical stable and KJV which my older congregation like. I also have to hand Good News, The Message (paraphrase not translation) and Nick King's translation of the NT. Biblegateway has the koine Greek and Young's literal translation although that is of limited use as there is not a literal translation for a lot of words.

Ihatethedailymail1 Mon 20-Feb-17 07:21:41

Interested smile

EddSimcox Tue 21-Feb-17 18:54:34

I'd be up for it, but I'm not into conflict, so for me anyway, given where we are (!), some ground rules about the tone of the debate might help!
Mark would be good place to start I agree.

00100001 Thu 23-Feb-17 07:28:11

Havrutah might be a good technique then as the method of study is thAt two (or more) people read a a passage

Person 1 asks a question and provides an answer
Person 2/3/4... Gives an answer

The idea is that not one person has the "correct" answer to the question but instead it is the pair/group as a whole has the answer.

Does that make sense?

00100001 Thu 23-Feb-17 07:30:30

The Sacred Imagination I mentioned before is a kind of meditation method it probably won't work on an online forum really. Bit the idea is
You pick a passage and someone reads it out. The listener(s) must close their eyes and imagine themselves in the scene. Trying to feel all the sounds, sights, smells, emotions etc. Then there is a discussion about how it was for them.

00100001 Thu 23-Feb-17 07:38:18

THere is also another technique called Lectio divina.

You pick a sentence almost at random a day discuss it on four different levels
1) read; read a passage /sentence - discuss what is happening

2) meditate; what message is being given in the passage

3)pray; ha email a conversation with God. Could be how this message has affected you in life etc

4) contemplate; What can you take away from the message moving forward?

smile

cheapskatemum Tue 28-Mar-17 01:53:24

I'm interested. We started one on here before, but sadly it fizzled out. The Bible Society has Book Club study materials for each book of the Bible. If we're doing Mark, I could access their materials on that book. Not sure how I could disseminate them on MN though.

Madhairday Fri 31-Mar-17 15:07:05

I'm interested too.

CuttheHysterics Fri 31-Mar-17 15:13:10

I'll comment here and there, but can't follow any study methodology.

thenoisytimetravelstudent Tue 18-Apr-17 22:37:46

I'm interested. Literally came on to ask advice on study groups!

Jaytee38 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:53:37

I'm interested 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now