Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

God won't like you

(13 Posts)
GooseyLoosey Mon 26-Feb-07 13:56:39

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=1375&threadid=284257&stamp=070226133141

I started a thread in chat (hope I've attached the link) about a 7 year old who said to 3 year old ds that "God won't like you if you don't share".

I am curious to know if people do use religion as a means to discipline their children as this child had obviously picked it up at home.

Any views?

boredwithwaitingforminiMOSSY Mon 26-Feb-07 13:59:22

My parents did. I was told from a very young age that I would go to hell if I was naughty, and was often threatened with being sent to the elders. But my parents were/are in more of a "cult" than a religion so not sure if that counts!

ja9 Mon 26-Feb-07 14:00:40

Have been known to say to ds when he is naughty , that doing 'x' makes God sad as well as mummy and daddy.

GooseyLoosey Mon 26-Feb-07 14:02:04

Do you think it did you any harm?

hunkerdave Mon 26-Feb-07 14:03:08

boredwithwaitingforminiMOSSY Mon 26-Feb-07 14:03:53

My parents did a lot worse than that GL but personally I think I'm quite sanguine about it. I'm not really in touch with them any more though, I think if I was it would be different.

SueBaroo Mon 26-Feb-07 17:04:47

We talk about doing things God's way, rather than our own way. Telling someone God won't like them for whatever reason wouldn't come under 'God's way', for sure

nearlythree Mon 26-Feb-07 21:05:54

Totally mad. Our dcs are being brought up to believe that God is the source of love. We don't believe in a person in the sky who likes or hates - just love.

It really pisses me off when people claim to know what God thinks.

GooseyLoosey Tue 27-Feb-07 08:29:16

Thanks - its interesting to know what people with a different perspective think.

Tortington Tue 27-Feb-07 08:32:48

om my god - ofcourse!

im catholic. - when the children were little i ws uber catholic. church, confession, holy days. my three were all altar servers. my daughter was queen of the may. you get the picture. anyway - the thing i like about god is - even when I'm not there - he is,

god sees all. its major discipline shit for kids that. especially with catholic guilt added to mix.

why wouldnt i exploit that - its fabulous.

GooseyLoosey Tue 27-Feb-07 10:17:23

Intersting custardo - don't you worry that this just adds to the guilt thing (although I can see the attraction of someone keeping a permanent eye on them)?

Tortington Tue 27-Feb-07 10:22:31

oh yes! intended to.

nearlythree Tue 27-Feb-07 13:28:36

I have a weird memory of thinking that my beloved grandad was watching me from heaven and would be sad if I was naughty. I am sure that came from my mum or my nan in some way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now