Talk

Advanced search

Giving DS 3 godMOTHERS - ok?

(4 Posts)
Popskipiekin Sun 15-Jan-17 16:18:16

We are regular C of E church goers. DS1 has 2 godfathers and 1 godmother. I think this is the traditional set-up. We recently had DS2 and are in the process of choosing godparents - our preferred 3 people are all women. There is one man who we could choose as a godfather to balance things out but that would mean either dropping a godmother or giving DS2 more godparents than DS1 (an issue? Might cause minor sibling jealousy later on?).
Our church would prefer he had at least one godfather but is happy with our explanation for why we would choose all godmothers instead.

Would you think a boy with 3 godmothers was odd? And any thoughts on one child having more godparents than another? Many thanks!

Sounds fine to me. Traditionally boys have two male Godparents and one female but it is only tradition and not holy writ. I've had parents wanting up to 6 Godparents which again is fine if that is their choice. You could have different numbers of godparents for each child if you wanted to. Go for it!

Mindtrope Sun 15-Jan-17 19:46:25

Do what floats your boat.
I was given two godmothers as a baby, I have never met either of them.

Your child may not choose to be christian.

EddSimcox Mon 16-Jan-17 22:45:10

In terms of jealousy think only about gifts. Of course it's not what godparents are for but it is what they (often) do. Huge resentment in my childhood that DB's godparents gave me gifts like his but mine were much more generous to me than to him. So I think it's more about who they are, than numbers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now