Talk

Advanced search

Not in need of faith but...

(6 Posts)
commanderchaos Tue 20-Feb-07 12:58:23

Briefly - brought up C of E, but not practised for 20 years and don't have a faith myself as such - though tending toward Buddhism if anything. Not feeling in need of faith really, but since we had DS (now 18 months) both DH and I can see the virtues of being part of a community that shares the same values and can help support both DS and us as we bring DS up. We have lots of friends, with children, but they don't all share quite the same values - and I can see the benefit of something more structured.
Any thoughts, people?

nearlythree Tue 20-Feb-07 13:46:11

Quakers? They have Buddhists as members, as well as Christians and those with no definite belief. If you go on the Society of FRiends webiste they will send you a v. helpful and in-depth info pack. HTH.

funnypeculiar Tue 20-Feb-07 13:53:20

Really interesting, commanderchaos - I'm in a similar situation and have been really seriously considering going along to the local CofE (which is very nice ) - I love the idea of the community -although for me the idea of structured spirituality also appeals. Less so Christianity, if I'm honest.

My dad goes along to Quaker meetings becauase they allow swearing in services Aren;t the serives quiet though (not ideal for los!)

I read a lovely post on here recently (can't remember who? hunker?) who said (I paraphrase) having been brought up in the chruch, she thought of the church as a structure that she could dip back into if & when she needed it. That really struck me.

She put it better though

nearlythree Tue 20-Feb-07 18:45:56

Quaker meetings are silent but they usually do a separate thing for children with activities etc.

I've left the CofE having concluded it is no place to raise children.

Hallgerda Tue 20-Feb-07 20:25:38

The Unitarians have been recommended to me by some friends in the US who presumed me to be terribly oppressed by the official status of the Church of England (which doesn't actually bother me, but never mind). The friends were a couple - neither very religious, one from a Catholic background, the other from a Jewish background - who wanted a church for their children to belong to (but then there's rather more pressure to belong to a church in Nashville). As I wasn't interested, I didn't explore further, but your situation sounds similar in a way to theirs so I thought I'd mention their suggestion. (Apparently, the Unitarians have a hymn "What a friend we have in Jesus, and in Moses and Lao Tzu" - does that appeal to you?)

commanderchaos Thu 22-Feb-07 13:55:39

thanks for the thoughts - have attended some quaker meetings and found them quite interesting. will look into that one.

quite agree, nearlythree, about the CofE being no place to raise children. but don't start me on that one. i'd never stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now