Talk

Advanced search

Can someone who is Muslim please help me with a food gift query please?

(5 Posts)
AladdinsPurpleSparklyCarpet Sat 17-Dec-16 07:58:41

My dc1 teacher is absolutely brilliant and dc1 would like to give him a small thankyou gift as we have done with other teachers at Christmas in previous years.

He throws himself fully into celebrating the festive period with the kids so I don't think he would be offended.

Dc1 wants to take some nice sweets or cakes or Krispy crème donuts or such in as he loves sweet stuff but I'm aware that there are some things he cannot eat.

Is it gelatine products?

Can someone please point me in the right direction of what would be ok to get and what's an absolute no no.

Many apologies in advance if this is a stupid question!

SpotTheDuck Sat 17-Dec-16 08:15:59

You shouldn't give him anything made from pig - some gelatine is made from pig, and some manufacturers (although sadly not all) will specify on their ingredients list what kind of gelatine it is. Eg I know Maria and Spencer's list either "beef gelatine" or "pork gelatine" on their packets of sweets.

This is obvious but I also wouldn't give him any sweets in the shape of a pig (like the marks and Spencer's Percy pigs) just in case it looks like you are having a dig.

SpotTheDuck Sat 17-Dec-16 08:16:17

Marks and Spencers obv.

YesThisIsMe Sat 17-Dec-16 08:18:35

If you look for a Vegetarian symbol you should be fine. Most Muslim parents I've known have always said to just feed their children vegetarian options on play dates as the simplest way to avoid getting it wrong.

Shallishanti Tue 20-Dec-16 23:16:22

watch out for alcohol though- eg veggie mince pies might have brandy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now