Talk

Advanced search

What denomination am I?!

(8 Posts)
MrsCK Mon 31-Oct-16 22:45:57

Sorry if this question seems a bit odd buy I'm moving area and trying to find a new church to go to but I'm stuck as to what denomination I am as to what to search for!! The church I go to has life groups, a pastor, worship to bethel, Jesus culture, hillsong etc. It's so unlike the church I grew up in but feels like home!! Any ideas?

glorious Mon 31-Oct-16 23:24:52

I don't know as it's very different to churches I've been involved in but I would guess some kind of evangelical church. That doesn't narrow it down much though!

Any chance you could ask people at your current place whether there is anywhere they'd recommend in your new town?

vdbfamily Thu 03-Nov-16 18:17:01

I personally do not think it matters what denomination you are. Just try local churches and see where you feel at home. All churches vary a lot, even within the same denomination.

NattyTile Thu 03-Nov-16 18:31:23

Could be any denomination really!

I'd look at all the churches around and if that's the style of worship you like, avoid any which say "traditional". Lively, charismatic, spirit-led, evangelical would be the buzzwords.

Life groups are sometimes called cell groups, small groups, home groups, although I think there's a particular acronym for Life groups, can't remember what it is but I know our home groups were rebranded as life groups a few years ago.

If Pastors are important to you over Vicars or Priests then probably avoid Anglican, Catholic, Methodist. But, honestly, if you don't know what denomination you are now then probably the feel and welcome if the church is more important to you than the denominational differences.

Ask the church leadership - they'll know what denomination they are, if they are at all, and they'll also probably have pointers for different but similarly theologically based churches for you to look at. If they are part of an umbrella organisation they may even be able to set you up with an invitation to a particular church in your new area - no obligation to attend of course, but nice to see a friendly face.

The music you list suggests a charismatic worship style and you will find that in many different denominations from C of E through to independent churches. Have a look at the websites of some churches in your new area and you should get some clues from the pictures. More traditional churches will have pictures of the choir and more contemporary churches will feature the worship group. Maybe listen to some podcasts to get a sense of what is important to them.

Good luck in your search for a new church family.

Woodacorn Fri 04-Nov-16 22:58:42

What town are you moving to? Perhaps someone here could recommend one.

ExcellentWorkThereMary Fri 04-Nov-16 23:00:27

New Frontier? Are they still a thing?

AllThreeWays Fri 04-Nov-16 23:27:03

Hillsong is broadly Pentecostal, specifically AOG (assembly of God) there are other similar Pentecostal churches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now