Talk

Advanced search

Bible recommendations

(7 Posts)
luluskiptotheloo Tue 04-Oct-16 09:19:49

My dd has asked for a Bible for her 13th birthday. She wants a more grown up version than her children's Bible.
Having googled I am now completely confused by how many different versions there seem to be.
I read that the NLT ones are good. So I'm looking for recommendations please?
Thank you.

The NIV and the NRSV are good translations.

ValiaH Wed 05-Oct-16 09:50:43

For a teenager, the youth bible is good, as it also has sections of testimonies and so on in it, and little study hints throughout. I also like the CEV for easy reading, but if she wants a more 'studious' bible then I second what greenheart said about NIV and NRSV. Is her childrens bible a 'story' bible or a version like the Good News translation with pictures and so on?

luluskiptotheloo Wed 05-Oct-16 10:34:54

Thank you for replying.
Her children's bible is stories with pictures, she now wants a "proper" version.
I will take a look at the youth Bible.

ValiaH Wed 05-Oct-16 11:04:27

The youth bible is a good "bridge" to an adult one, the language is accessible too. If she's used to a story bible then she may need some guidance on how to find different verses/ chapters unless she's already familiar with the way a bible is set up from church/ home/ youth group,there are lots of resources available to help with that though.

NiteFlights Fri 07-Oct-16 01:57:30

I like the Good News Bible, which was the one I was given at about that age. It has stick figure drawings which break up the text well and bring the text to life without being babyish. It is very easy to read and the language is straightforward and accessible. I have just googled it and found out that it came out originally in the US and was then 'translated' into British English. You learn something new every day!

mrspotatolegs Sat 08-Oct-16 21:09:37

I had the Good News too as a teenager. NRSV in preference to NIV I think (for adults, or anyone who wants an adult Bible) because the language is a bit more inclusive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now