Talk

Advanced search

Any Muslim women on mumsnet?

(35 Posts)
Hotlingbling Thu 25-Aug-16 19:55:06

Salam alaykum, if there are any out there.
Do you have any plans for Eid yet?
It's come around fast this year.

zaama Sat 27-Aug-16 14:39:50

Wlkmslm

How you doing?

I haven't planned eid yet. You?

I don't take kids out of school for it. Do you ?

Hotlingbling Sun 28-Aug-16 02:13:39

I don't have much planned this year. I bought some prezzies and might go out for a meal. Yes I do take them out of school for it.

hotdiggedy Sun 28-Aug-16 10:10:19

Do you live near any of the 1eid events? Can you go to the Eid prayer? I think it's set to be on a weekend this time unless I'm mistaken.

Sherlock35 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:17:12

Oh, God, when's Eid?!

Hotlingbling Sun 28-Aug-16 20:57:11

10th or the 11th. Yeah so that should be a weekend. I don't live near any of them. But I do go to Eid prayers. Are you getting a sheep this year? I tend to buy one for charity.

hotdiggedy Sun 28-Aug-16 22:01:51

Penny Appeal make Qurbani quite affordable. You could decorate your living room, put presents out, go to Eid prayer, eat out then go home and unwrap presents and put British Muslim TV on or islam Channel maybe if there are no friends you can spend time with?

zaama Sun 28-Aug-16 22:08:34

What are 1eid events ? I tend to stay away from mosques so not sure what they are . Will send money to charity and to family.

hotdiggedy Mon 29-Aug-16 00:21:19

Type 1eid into your computer and you will see. Why do you stay away from mosques? You don't take your children out of school for Eid? Why is that? Doesn't sound like much of a celebration to me at all!

zaama Mon 29-Aug-16 09:52:32

You're right. Maybe i will make more of an effort this year.

Re the mosques : I find them culturally cliquey. Might just be the ones round here.

hotdiggedy Mon 29-Aug-16 22:47:49

I understand that. You can easily go into a mosque and often nobody will acknowledge you. If you don't go very often it can be quite nerve wracking and then you get someone who has to pass some comment to 'help you' and it puts you off going again!

I like to go for fri prayers when I can just to listen to the speech and also to Eid prayers so that I can people watch!

I do wish they were friendlier places though.

frogmore Wed 31-Aug-16 19:06:13

Eid al Udha is on the 11th Inshallah- I think Day of Arafat is on Saturday the 10th

frogmore Wed 31-Aug-16 19:11:51

hotdiggedy and zaama
Where are you based? I know the feeling, I've been in that situation however there is a prayer place (in place of a real mosque) where I go and it's absolutely friendly.
It can be hard when you are a revert, but I just tell myself it's between me and Allah SW because we are all sinners.
May I Allah continue to guide you.

zaama Wed 31-Aug-16 20:00:43

Manchester smile

tiredandhungryalways Fri 02-Sep-16 15:04:29

Wasalam I hope eid is on the 11th sons first day of school.on 12th starting reception so don't really want him to miss it. Eid has come around this fast..hope you all.enjoy it and it becomes easier for you zaama x

moonstruckl8 Fri 02-Sep-16 21:08:26

Im actuslly grateful Eid is on the 12th, imagine if it fell on September 11th this year? Instead of our Eid the muslim bashers would say we were celebrating something far worse. Alhamdullillah Im quietly relieved!

frogmore Sat 03-Sep-16 06:57:06

Salaam aleikum sisters!
Eid is on the 12th ?? Allhamudulillah The bashing had already started about the 11th. Yes, I'm also relieved about this.

sealsandbeachballs Sat 03-Sep-16 13:17:46

Would you ladies mind if I asked a question? apologies!
Dd is about to start at a school where the vast majority of children are Muslim. We aren't. She has asked if Muslim children/teens celebrate their birthday and I have no idea!

hotdiggedy Sat 03-Sep-16 13:52:13

i'm really disappointed that its on the 12th actually, Was hoping for the weekend.

Some Muslims celebrate their birthday and some don't (you aren't really supposed to make a big fuss over it!).

sealsandbeachballs Sat 03-Sep-16 14:09:11

Thank you so much for answering.

frogmore Sat 03-Sep-16 15:42:00

No fuss for birthday and it's really for kids if anything is done.
hotdiggedy I'd rather have it on a weekday than the 9/11 to be honest (out takhbir would be misunderstood) if you know what I mean.
Also I have a feeling Saudi Arabia declared it on purpose because day of Arafat is on the 10th.

hotdiggedy Sat 03-Sep-16 18:53:43

When you have children and you work, it makes life a lot easier when Eid is on a weekend! This Eid for me will be quite non eventful and I wont make it to the Eid prayer which makes me quite sad. I therefore wish it was on the Sunday or the Saturday before. regardless of the date!

I hadn't even thought about 9/11 until it was mentioned here.

zaama Sat 03-Sep-16 19:09:15

Do you guys give gifts and if so to whom ?
x

hotdiggedy Sat 03-Sep-16 19:11:28

I give gifts to my children and sometimes to my friends. I think it helps to make the whole thing more eventful somehow!

frogmore Sat 03-Sep-16 23:26:56

zaama I'm gettig confused with your post.
You don't know about Eid events, you don't go to the mosque, you don't know about gifts?
Are you muslim? or on a journey to Islam? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now