Talk

Advanced search

Islam - is there an "Idiots guide to..." book I can read?

(35 Posts)
suejonezisdanielsmummy Tue 30-Jan-07 12:25:06

My sons birth mother was moslem and I'd like to be a bit better informed. Can anyone suggest an easy book for me to read please.

DizzyBint Tue 30-Jan-07 12:31:03

i would look on wikipedia on line for starters. then you can drift into whichever bits you want to read more about.

DizzyBint Tue 30-Jan-07 12:32:11

here

Aloha Tue 30-Jan-07 12:32:52

How is it going? How's he settling down at home? How are you feeling?

Marina Tue 30-Jan-07 12:40:58

this looks good, for the history at least
The "XXXX for Dummies" series is usually accessible and wide-ranging but I have not read the one on Islam, or the one on the Koran.
HTH and he is settling well!

suejonezisdanielsmummy Tue 30-Jan-07 15:44:45

Ooh thanks - hadn;t thought of Wikipedia.

He's doing really well (screaming in his cot now rather than napping! Thankfully only does that for a few mintues oterwise I'd need a heart of stone)

He's just getting oevr his jet-lag and now sleeping from 8pm to 6.30am

fuzzywuzzy Tue 30-Jan-07 19:25:50

I'd reccommend;

Islam: A Short History by Karen Armstrong (it might appeal to you as ti is written by a non-muslim)

The Complete Idiot's Guide(R) to Understanding Islam by Yahiya Emerick - THE #1 introduction to Islam by an Irish American revert living in the States

What Everybody needs to know about Islam and Muslims by Suzanne Haneef

Aloha Tue 30-Jan-07 22:22:33

Glad to hear you are getting some sleep Sue! It's the curse of parenthood

suejonezisdanielsmummy Tue 30-Jan-07 22:25:26

Hadn't realised before that naps are for the benefit of mums not babies. And who suggested napping when they do?! When else would I find time to drink a diet coke and read a newspaper in peace. (Sod the washing).

Actually have social worker coming for first visit on Thursday morning so better do the washing.

Aloha Tue 30-Jan-07 22:27:03

yes, it is a huge dilemma! I remember it well. I bet he's lovely though. He's staggeringly beautiful.

suejonezisdanielsmummy Tue 30-Jan-07 22:28:55

He is a georgeous boy - I am very lucky. He is also very sociable and good natured most of the time. Amazing given the changes in his life so far.

Aloha Tue 30-Jan-07 23:30:20

I'm glad you've found each other.

Nikki76 Sun 04-Feb-07 21:52:35

Hiya

I'm an English woman who is a convert to Islam (and mummy to an 8mth old boy) I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about Islam as I am learning lots myself!

Good luck with the little one.

Nikki

ScummyMummy Sun 04-Feb-07 22:04:42

Hi Sue. Daniel sounds like such a fabster. Coincidently I'm actually reading this at the moment. Have not read a truly dud Very Short Introduction yet- they appeal to my adhd like attention span, I suspect- and though this one is not as concise and well organised as some it is an easy read, interesting and a good starting point.

ChaCha Mon 05-Feb-07 19:09:37

Hi Sue,

Feel free to CAT me if i can be of any help. And 'Assalamu Alaykum' to Nikki76 Both my mum and DH are converts.

Nikki76 Mon 05-Feb-07 20:17:37

Wa'alikum salaam chacha

PeachyClair Mon 05-Feb-07 20:19:42

Hiya Sue jones is

I ahve last years text book on Islam here (studying religions at degree level). You are more than welcome to borrow it if you CAT me. The author lives next door so so I can borrow a copy from him shouldI need it but its more absic than I need now anyhow.

Feel free to CAT me.

PeachyClair Mon 05-Feb-07 20:20:23

(Oh its called ISlam by Dr david Norcliffe btw)

smittenkitten Mon 05-Feb-07 20:49:38

hi, there is a dummies guide to islam which i'm reading at the moment and is pretty easy going. my father is moslem and i'm fed up with being ignorant about his religion

ChaCha Tue 06-Feb-07 12:22:47

Hi PeachyClare

Hi SmittenKitten I was the same for many years, it's my dad who was the Muslim and i hadn't a clue about anything to do with Islam! In fact, i had a totally dwarped idea about it all -

admylin Tue 06-Feb-07 16:28:32

I know your ds is quite small but for later I can suggest a good book which my dc really loved and it is also quite informative for adults too. Their grandmother is muslim and most of their cousins too.
Muslim Child - understanding islam through stories and poems by Rukhsana Khan ISBN 0-8075-5307-7 . It sort of explains alot about the festivals like Eid and why they are important and about Haj the journey to Mecca and also alot of situations from everyday life of muslim children living around the world (so not living in muslim countries too)all told in short stories.

Naomi77 Thu 22-Feb-07 18:54:04

Hi Nikki76
I am really interested in learning about Islam also.
My husband is a muslim (not strict) and I would love to find out more.
Where can I start?

Nikki76 Thu 22-Feb-07 18:57:53

Oohh

Always happy to help! Try www.mountainoflight.com - this is the website that the singer Yusuf Islam has set up I think and if you go into Google and type Islam, you will get loads of things coming back

I am also more than ready to answer any questions you have though (if I can) - I love talking about Islam...well, I love talking in general to be honest

Where is your husband from?

Nikki

Naomi77 Fri 23-Feb-07 18:14:27

My husband is from Morocco and he would like our son to know about the religion.
How come you converted?

Nikki76 Fri 23-Feb-07 19:18:56

It took me a looonnnng time! Was married to hubby for about 6 years and had loads of chats etc and I started to read more, question about the religion and I was e-mailing a family friend who was a Canadian Christian convert and so was his wife. He was so knowledgable and answered all my questions and the more I read, the more I liked. Especially how Islam is very advanced in the Science aspect, which suited my Science background and it felt so good to recognise the existence of a Creator but also Science, if that makes sense because a lot of the time, I feel religion and Science are at odds.

Anyway, I e-mailed the friend throughout the course of the year. I really wanted to become Muslim but was so scared of taking the Sha'hada (the Declaration of the Faith) and one day, I was in work and I read through the e-mails that he sent that I'd saved and it just clicked there and then that I didn't want to leave this life without being a Muslim and did the Shahadah there and then at my desk - obviously not out loud as boss would have thought I was mad lol but, when the moments right, its right.

Its not an easy religion, its a total lifestyle and requires time, effort and commitment. I'm not so good at making the 5 prayers a day but am trying. Islam also values mothers very highly and puts much emphasis on motherhood - I love that

Soz for a long reply but once I get talking.....yap yap yap!!! [grins]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now