What advice or quote changed your life or circumstance?

(32 Posts)
twirlywoo69 Mon 04-Jul-16 21:31:56

Just wondering if there is a quote or piece of advice that you have read or being told has completely changed your life or way of thinking?

specialsubject Wed 06-Jul-16 18:33:26

'You have nothing to prove'

ValhallaAwaits Wed 06-Jul-16 18:38:18

If people refuse to look at you in a new light and they can only see you for what you were, only see you for the mistakes you've made, if they don't realize that you are not your mistakes, then they have to go. - can't remember where I saw it.

Cassimin Wed 06-Jul-16 18:41:50

Tackle large jobs as you would eat an elephant.
Helps me a lot when the garden looks like a jungle.

AprilLoveJ Wed 06-Jul-16 18:48:14

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

If you're going through hell, keep going.

Basically all Winston Churchill quotes.

My own is: light is life, dark is death. Came from darkest days of depression and ill health when I would like to stay in bed in the dark a lot. Light is essential for good health and emotional wellbeing.

Autumnchill Wed 06-Jul-16 18:50:13

That to the Company I work for, I was a single point of failure because I didn't like delegating. That was the only advice I took from a 2 day time management course.

I have totally changed my management style and now delegate and train my staff how to do something rather than 'I'll bloody do it' and then stressing because my workload was too much. Took a couple of years but I feel so much better!

Autumnchill Wed 06-Jul-16 18:51:24

Oh and the picture is one I tell my staff when they are doing their job and someone gets shitty with them. We have it up in the office.

VulcanWoman Wed 06-Jul-16 18:53:23

I right down quotes a lot when I see/hear them, they help me.

Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option - Maya Angelou

Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness but because you deserve peace.

Truth and love always win through - Gandhi

OurBlanche Wed 06-Jul-16 18:53:38

If they don't make you happy, bin them.

It was phrased in far more flowery terms, but that is it, essentially. Liberally applied to the ILs, slightly less so to my own family (DSis is OK if we remember we annoy each other smile )

Dairybanrion Wed 06-Jul-16 18:59:11

Ever tried
Ever failed.
No matter
Try again
Fail again
Fail better.
Samuel Beckett.

Dust yourself off and try again.

Brownfiesta Wed 06-Jul-16 19:01:10

"What does love require of you?"

PeaceNotPieces Wed 06-Jul-16 19:02:38

Live in peace not in pieces

I perceived it as not scratching over old wounds- let them heal and move on. (Could obviously be wrong but I like the sentiment)

Autumnchill Wed 06-Jul-16 19:19:12

Even Monkeys Fall Out Of Trees

ThomasRichard Wed 06-Jul-16 19:21:07

'Nothing will change until the fear of change is outweighed by the pain of staying the same.'

That quote posted on a friend's Facebook wall helped me to give me the push to divorce my horrible husband.

twirlywoo69 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:53:51

Aw these are amazing, the reason I was asking is because I read a quote other week, it had just popped up on Instagram and I couldn't stop thinking about it...and since I have followed it my life has become to change in a spooky way...

'The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.' Oprah Winfrey

reader77 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:59:03

Get off the merry go round.

Advice about an abusive relationship. It helped me maintain boundaries and that I didn't have to engage if I didn't want to.

bootygirl Wed 06-Jul-16 20:26:46

Not my monkeys, Not my circus...

HappyHippyChick Wed 06-Jul-16 20:32:08

You are good enough for those who like you and far too good for those who don't.

My mum told me that when I was a child.

twirlywoo69 Wed 06-Jul-16 20:34:51

@bootygirl
'Not my monkeys, Not my circus...'

Ha I love this!!!

twirlywoo69 Wed 06-Jul-16 20:46:57

Be the type of person that you want to meet

Peach1886 Wed 06-Jul-16 20:56:58

You get what you settle for - from Thelma and Louise

BristolLFR Wed 06-Jul-16 20:57:50

This really helped me after my miscarriage. I felt so lost, but this gave me the encouragement to start moving on

"And then you wake up the morning of the day after and you are still alive. You have no idea what to do but - being alive - something has to happen."

dementedma Wed 06-Jul-16 21:03:13

Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.

lifeofdino Wed 06-Jul-16 21:07:48

Watch your thoughts, they become words;
watch your words, they become actions;
watch your actions, they become habits;
watch your habits, they become character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

Irelephant Wed 06-Jul-16 21:09:20

Marry someone who makes you laugh in public and scream in bed.

Be with someone who ruins your lipstick not your mascara.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now