Talk

Advanced search

How to address a Catholic Bishop?

(21 Posts)
LynetteScavo Sun 26-Jun-16 20:45:28

It's Catholic confirmation season here.

DC have been told to address the Bishop as "Your Grace"

DD insists it's "My Grace" hmm But she's 10yo and charming and will probably offer him some cake at the same time so he won't notice.

Debretts tells me it should be; " *Roman Catholic bishops are addressed in speech within their community as ‘My Lord’ or ‘Your Excellency*’"

I'm going with "Your Grace".

Numberoneisgone Sun 26-Jun-16 20:46:42

Yes 'your grace' or certainly that is how Father Ted addressed Bishop Beennan.

PinkBuffalo Sun 26-Jun-16 20:50:26

It is Your Grace
Pretty sure with your DD being only 10 no one will bat an eye though smile

jcscot Mon 27-Jun-16 15:04:06

"Your Grace" is how you address and Archbishop, a Bishop is addressed as "My Lord" and a Cardinal as "Your Eminence".

Pootles2010 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:05:07

Ha! yes i only knew this because of Father Ted grin

Fink Tue 28-Jun-16 10:23:52

It's My Lord for a bishop, Your Grace for an archbishop (only in the UK). Depends on the bishop though, quite a lot prefer an informal Father. If in doubt, go with My Lord. Unless you're sure it's an archbishop.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 29-Jun-16 15:46:17

My close friend who is now an Archbishop detests being called My lord or your Grace and prefers 'father' or being called by his first name.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 29-Jun-16 15:46:49

And what ever you do don't try to kiss his ring!!

sashh Sat 16-Jul-16 10:07:12

And what ever you do don't try to kiss his ring!!

Or kick him up the arse.

When the bishop came to my RC school we were told to call him 'My Lord', some of the kids from my brother's school attended, they had been told to say 'Mi' Lord'.

alltouchedout Sat 16-Jul-16 10:15:34

If you're not sure I can't see how "Father" would ever be offensive. I don't hobnob with bishops or indeed rank and file priests but surely "Father" is fine if you don't know the exact term.
If he's a nice man he'd probably find "my grace" quite sweet wouldn't he? If he's the kind of man who'd get annoyed that a small child hadn't got his form of address exactly right then he's not worth bothering about anyway!

Boogers Sat 16-Jul-16 10:22:19

I'm smiling at the thought that knowledge of the Catholic church comes from Father Ted! grin

I'm sure it's "Your Grace". Whatever you do, don't do a Father Jack!

Toddlerteaplease Sat 16-Jul-16 10:23:56

Our last bishop liked to be called by his first name. And just loved it when a girl with Down's syndrome called him Malc. The new one is more formal and its Bishop X, which feels odd.

CreepingDogFart Sun 24-Jul-16 08:44:30

It's not "My Lord" it's "M'Lord".

WingMirrorSpider Sun 24-Jul-16 08:48:57

Yes, I also get my information from Father Ted.

I believe the correct way to address him is 'Len'

Shallishanti Sat 30-Jul-16 16:52:33

...and remember the answer to any tricky question is 'that would be an ecumenical matter' grin

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Sat 30-Jul-16 16:57:12

Wing you beat me to it!

pearlylum Sun 31-Jul-16 06:36:47

I would call him Mr X. The fact that he is a senior member of the sky fairy club is of no significance to me.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 31-Jul-16 06:43:51

I just snorted my coffee at 'Len' gringrin

In my head I said it in Dougals voice

JustGettingStarted Sun 31-Jul-16 06:56:27

I think "Grace" is for Anglican bishops. "Lord" is certainly only for CoE archbishops (there's two of them and they're in the House of Lords.)

I believe Catholic bishops are "Excellency"

JustGettingStarted Sun 31-Jul-16 07:03:02

Unless they're also a Cardinal... That's "Eminence." and of course the Bishop of Rome is "Holiness."

I think maybe I'm wrong about the "Grace" thing... Apparently it's a thing in England and Wales for Catholic bishops.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-Aug-16 15:00:47

Just. Catholic bishops in this country are not Excellency. Archbishops only are 'your grace' And it is My Lord not M'Lord!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now