Talk

Advanced search

Anniversary of ordination gift?

(9 Posts)
AnotherSENMess Wed 25-May-16 07:58:32

I have recently become aware that a colleague of mine is shortly to celebrate his 25th anniversary of his ordination into the priesthood. We are good work mates, i.e. we chat and joke when at work, we talk about things going on outside of work, but don't meet outside of work.

I would like to give him something small as an acknowledgment of the anniversary, but have no idea what. I am also limited in time and price, really cannot afford more than £10 (nor would he want me to), and due to schedules, I need it by the end of next week at the latest.

Id be really grateful for any ideas anyone may have, I'm not religious myself and have no idea what would be a good gift in this instance.

smallandimperfectlyformed Wed 25-May-16 08:01:56

As you're not religious yourself, I wouldn't bother with something too associated with his faith as his parishioners/fellow friends are have likely to got him something like that. I think a nice bottle of alcohol (if he drinks), cake or chocolates are appropriate in the circumstances. I hope that helps!!

AnotherSENMess Wed 25-May-16 08:32:46

Thank you. Unfortunately he doesn't have parishioners due to his position, and he's diabetic which limits the sweet stuff but a bottle of mead (I know its sweet but is also a favourite of his) should be relatively easy to source.

Mead is a lovely idea but not always easy to find out of the Christmas season. There are lots of lighthearted mugs out there so Google 'priest mug' and take your pick. I'm liking the 50% priest 50% ninja ones but I have a weird sense of humour...

Fink Wed 25-May-16 12:20:55

A bottle of something or a book. When it was my priests' 20th anniversary I sewed them some vestments, but I'm guessing that's a bit OTT for these circumstances! You can get mead in Waitrose.

Is he a secular priest or religious (like a monk)? Secular priests can receive anything, within reason. Religious have different rules about owning things/sharing with the community.

AnotherSENMess Wed 25-May-16 12:54:44

Secular. I was purposely not giving details but actually I don't think there is an issue saying he's the lead chaplain at the local hospital, hence his lack of parishioners. Will google the mugs, and earlier thought of the dads army "dont panic" stuff you can buy which he would probably appreciate as well. Thank you for the ideas, I should be able to get something for him now (and I know where I can get some mead year round so that isn't an issue smile)

CallWaiting Thu 26-May-16 21:45:17

There are also some lovely but amusing Christian gifts smile I recently bought a senior clergy person a 'keep calm and pray' mug as a gift when he changed job!!

Meowlster Thu 26-May-16 21:53:24

What about a rosary? Someone I know makes them, and you should be able to get a really nice one for under a tenner including postage (are we allowed to link here? If not I can DM you a site?)

Toddlerteaplease Fri 27-May-16 15:02:51

Most priests I know are just happy that you have remembered the date. Think I just got my friend gift vouchers on his 25th anniversary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now