Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need some advice from Catholics please

(9 Posts)
KellyElly Thu 21-Apr-16 14:23:05

I was baptised Anglican, my daughter has not been baptised or brought up going to Church. She has recently started to show an interest in God and in attending church.

Next year, we will be moving to Spain with my partner who, like most Spaniards, is Catholic. Some of his family are very committed Catholics and the ones who aren't still attend mass around once per month including him. Many schools are quite religious over there.

I would like to get my daughter (six) baptised Catholic and start taking her to mass over here before we leave, as it makes sense that she follows predominant religion of the country we will be moving to and I have no affinity to her being brought up as an Anglican as I don't attend church regularly myself.

My question is, is this even possible as a) I'm not catholic and b) I wasn't married to her father and he is not in our lives any more (so in the eyes of the Church a single unmarried mother who is with another partner who I am also not married to - although we do plan to marry in the next few years).

I would appreciate any advice please.

Chaseisace Thu 21-Apr-16 14:26:53

You can go to mass whenever you like and your daughter can be baptised. You may be required to attend pre baptism lessons for her and you would need to do a course to become catholic yourself if that's what you want to do. Your marital status won't matter at all. Hope this helps

lavenderdoilly Thu 21-Apr-16 14:27:45

The church takes anyone willing to commit ( even Tony Blair grin). Catholic myself and never met a Catholic who is judgemental about people being married or not with kids. Maybe I don't know the right ones and maybe I'm a bit rubbish at being a Catholic. Speak to your local Catholic priest.

Chaseisace Thu 21-Apr-16 14:28:01

Oh, she would need a catholic godparent though but your partner could be the godparent if you wanted

KellyElly Thu 21-Apr-16 14:40:05

Ok, that's good to know. Thank you.

Would I have to become Catholic myself? Do you think that would be a stipulation? I'm not sure I would be doing it for the right reasons as I'm happy being an Anglican or Christian in the general sense of the word.

Chaseisace Thu 21-Apr-16 14:43:56

No, you wouldn't have to become catholic yourself.

KellyElly Thu 21-Apr-16 14:46:20

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated smile

lavenderdoilly Thu 21-Apr-16 14:48:14

You wouldn't need to become a Catholic yourself as pp already said. Really really not scary at all. I'm a pro - choice pro equal marriage pro women priests pro married priests kind of Catholic and no one has gone at me with a pitch fork.

KellyElly Thu 21-Apr-16 16:37:37

Good to know lavenderdoilly grin. Shame you're not a priest, you sound perfect to baptise my daughter smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now