Talk

Advanced search

Any Catholics out there with one or two girls about to celebrate their first Holy Communion and want a classic, unfussy but lovely dress?

(14 Posts)
SpareCrust Thu 14-Apr-16 15:30:17

Posting on here for traffic, rather than in goods for sale, as target audience so specific. Hope ok!

I am in the middle of a huge spring clean and decluttering exercise.

Have already decluttered the riding clothes and primary school age clothes and now want to give away my dd's Holy Communion dress which was not made for her, but is a couture make from Sally Membery of London.

Don't want to put photos on here as too identifying (although could send by e-mail) but it is very classic and simple: three quarter length, short sleeves, made of slightly off-white linen (but would be described as white) with a pan collar and belt with flat bow in same material. The skirt is lined with silk. No frills or beading or frou-frou bits!

It is approx 83 cm/32.5 inches in length with chest size 28" approx (71 cm).

I also have a lovely veil and gloves and a selection of tights and socks and hair accessories to go with it.

It has only been worn once for half a day by my dd who was then aged 9 yrs!

I am a bit sad about giving it away (struggle with decluttering things of huge sentimental value!) but I would like it to go to a Catholic home where one or two girls could get good use out of it and perhaps it could be passed on to cousins or friends in the parish etc. Don't want any payment but perhaps someone would be prepared to give a small donation directly to a charity of their choice in return for it or volunteer for an hour in their parish or something?

Please feel free to pm me if interested!

SpareCrust Tue 19-Apr-16 08:55:59

bumping!

RapidlyOscillating Tue 19-Apr-16 09:02:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slicedfinger Tue 19-Apr-16 09:15:43

What a lovely suggestion. flowers

SpareCrust Tue 19-Apr-16 09:23:12

Oh dear, perhaps I am too late for this year! Thank you though!

TeddTess Tue 19-Apr-16 09:25:53

try your local Catholic school facebook page?
they tend to be in early summer so i would think most people are sorted this year though...

readingrainbow Tue 19-Apr-16 09:32:08

We aren't Catholic but my children attend a Catholic primary school - perhaps it would be of use there? I could ask.

SpareCrust Tue 19-Apr-16 09:42:19

Ah, it always used to be in May in my day ... !

I've still got some contacts in UK parishes so I'll try there but thanks readingrainbow (we live abroad now where they wear standard robes so no use asking here)

SpareCrust Tue 19-Apr-16 09:42:57

Thanks also TeddTess!

Fink Tue 19-Apr-16 09:58:09

If you've still got it, I'll take it (barring any more deserving offers).

I work in a parish in England. All the girls have their dresses for this year - FHCs are next month, but I could easily keep it for next year. We're quite a poor parish so there would always be people who could do with a hand. And depending on the size I might even use it for my own dd, although she'll be 7 or 8 when she makes FHC so might be a bit too big for her. Most of our parish kids are 9 (School Year 4) so it sounds like a great fit.

Let me know ... Anyway, I'm sure whoever gets it will love it, it sounds gorgeous!

readingrainbow Tue 19-Apr-16 10:07:31

I'm sure it will find a good home. smile

SpareCrust Tue 19-Apr-16 10:11:45

Fink that sounds absolutely ideal! I'd love it to go to your parish (particularly if it goes to a little girl who can't afford a dress) and great if your dd can wear it too! The more the merrier!

How do you want to do this? Are you happy to pm me with your address through this site? Or shall I send you my e-mail address via PM and you can contact me that way?

Fink Tue 19-Apr-16 10:44:36

Wow, thank you so much! I've sent to you PM.

SpareCrust Tue 19-Apr-16 11:08:13

That's great Fink! Thanks. Will reply and send asap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now