Talk

Advanced search

Messy Church/Sunday School thread reinstated

(7 Posts)
cheapskatemum Fri 12-Feb-16 22:18:21

Hi all of you involved in working with children in church! I miss our last thread and I'm sure it's not because all work with children in churches has stopped. How's it going this year?

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 14-Feb-16 07:04:38

Hello! I miss the thread too!
Our Messy Church is still going strong, really good numbers (about 15 kids, which is massive for us in our tiny parish). But we're moving house soon sad, and I do feel anxious about who might come forward to help with MC to replace us, as it's such a small team of adults, and myself and dh do quite a lot for it at the moment. There is another lady who does a lot for it already, but she does so much other work for the church too, I don't think she can take on any more. Being spread thinly seems to be such an issue in rural parishes.
How are things with you?

cheapskatemum Sun 14-Feb-16 22:32:32

Exactly the same! The main lady who organised food for Messy Church had twins at Christmas, so guess who's doing it now? Are you moving far away from your church? Our house is on the market and of course, church members ask where we're moving to. Am I imagining their anxious tone and worried looks?

Lovelydiscusfish Mon 15-Feb-16 10:09:44

Yes, we're moving to a different part of the country, so definitely won't be able to be involved any moresad. Hopefully we can find a village or town to move to where we can get involved in the church - though I wouldn't mind a bit less responsibility than I have now! I'm really worried about my current church, as there are so few people involved - I feel incredibly guilty (and everyone is being even more lovely now they know we are leaving, which makes it worse).
What about you Cheapskate - are you moving far?

cheapskatemum Fri 19-Feb-16 21:26:20

The short answer is, I don't know. DS2 is disabled and will probably stay living in or near the town he currently resides in, which is about 40 mins drive away from our current location. We've said we don't want to move more than an hour's travel away from him, so we can keep visiting, weekly home visits, taking him to appointments etc. There's a lovely city within this travelling time that we both like and we acknowledge that it would make sense to be nearer shops, hospital, other services than we are now as we are very rural and not getting any younger. On the other hand, if the right property came up for sale nearer the centre of the small town/large village we currently live a mile outside, we'd probably go for that.

Your church family are being lovely because they know that if it's in God's plan, everything will be ok smile. Our small church has been through huge upheaval in the few years I've been attending. We've really had to trust in God and we seem to be coming through it, finally (I know, my view of timing, not God's!).

Lovelydiscusfish Sat 20-Feb-16 17:27:09

Thanks, Cheapskate. I'll pray for you that everything goes smoothly with your move, and you find somewhere near to your ds, and where you will be happy. We're moving because I will be starting a new job - I'm sure it is the right move for me work-wise, and also the right thing for our family, but it also feels quite stressful at the moment (lots of viewings on our house - we had three today - so having to keep it tidy!)
Our last Messy Church was on the theme of Jonah and the Whale, and the talk our vicar gave was all about trusting in a God and going where He leads you, even when it goes against your instincts, or you feel afraid. It was quite resonant for me! The vicar has also told me not to worry about leaving our church behind, as God led us there for a season and He will ensure others take up the work when we are gone. Which of course is true.
There is also the worry of finding a new Church when we move - but that seems quite exciting too! We are wondering if we would be better off in the long term as a family attending a town church rather than a rural one - my dd is little at the moment, but as she gets older (especially teenage years) I wonder if a larger church would be more likely to offer her age-appropriate opportunity to explore and develop her faith. This is the advice my vicar has given (and he says this as the vicar of a rural parish!)
Sorry for rambling - it's very therapeutic to write it all down.

cheapskatemum Mon 22-Feb-16 21:32:14

Definitely agree about the therapeutic effect of a good ramble! We've had 3 viewings in 6 months, so am quite envious of your 3 in a day, although keeping the place tidy with a young DD must be stressful. Your vicar's comment about you being there for a season took me straight to Ecclesiastes 3, one of my favourite Bible passages smile and of course, so true. I hope your new job goes well and feel certain that God will lead you to the right church.

As a small, rural church, we haven't had a thriving youth group for several years. That's one of the reasons I love Messy Church, I love the camaraderie that special cohort have and hope and pray it continues to flourish.

Is anyone else still doing children's work/Messy Church?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now