Talk

Advanced search

Moved to a few tears by a carol tonight

(18 Posts)
romanrainsalot Sun 20-Dec-15 21:27:12

I attended a carol service tonight and took DS (4). It was really lovely, especially when the choir sang "Mary did you know?", then a few tears rolled down my cheeks.

Am I weird?

EvaBING Sun 20-Dec-15 21:30:32

Nope. Well, if you are, then so am I!

I've been the same since I was a child.

I actually can't even SING an emotional song (emotional to me) without crying!

Silent Night. Away in a Manger and Oh Holy Night are my biggest soppiest tear jerkers ever.

Definitely something wrong with me.

Actually - if a child sings twinkle twinkle, I'm likely to shed a tear!

VulcanWoman Sun 20-Dec-15 21:30:44

No not weird at all, everything sets me off, silent night being one, haven't heard of "Mary did you know"

Hiddlesnake Sun 20-Dec-15 21:32:11

The First Noel always sets me off.

bigbadbarry Sun 20-Dec-15 21:33:50

I always cry at carols and had a good sniffle at the Carol service tonight because my 6-year-old sung her little heart out to away in a manger.
I also cry at musical theatre and concerts! Basically anything that involves singing.
And I well up a bit myself if I sing.
Am nuts.

bigbadbarry Sun 20-Dec-15 21:34:57

Oh, and nativity plays in general. I cried so much at our preschool one, at some random little girl being a beautiful angel, that the woman next to me gave me a tissue and said, aw, is she yours? How stupid did I feel when I had to say no.

OTheHugeManatee Sun 20-Dec-15 21:36:44

Carols always make me cry. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear came on in Sainsburys the other day and I nearly started bawling at the checkout hmm

MamaMary Sun 20-Dec-15 21:38:16

Mary did you know is a beautiful song with lovely words.

I can't watch a children's choir without crying, no matter what they're singing.

EvaBING Sun 20-Dec-15 21:38:31

This one always moves me...........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhcZ6b2FSsk

romanrainsalot Sun 20-Dec-15 21:50:07

I've always been a bit soppy, but there's something about that hymn that sets me off (that and Abide with me). Its quite a modern one too, covered by quite a few famous singers (Cee-lo Green one is stunning). Maybe it resonates now I'm a mum.

Here's a link to Kenny Rogers one www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQM2rszMAfY

winterswan Sun 20-Dec-15 21:51:02

Mary Did You Know is beautiful; I'm not surprised you cried smile

romanrainsalot Sun 20-Dec-15 21:51:13

Sorry EvaBING x-posted

winterswan Sun 20-Dec-15 21:52:53

youtu.be/BUmRv98bSu8 My favourite version smile

Merry Christmas

BoxofSnails Mon 21-Dec-15 19:30:17

Not at all - and more of us may there be who are moved to tears by the power of these carols. .

I'm weepy, often, in the power of God to move people of all ages. Xx

gabsdot Tue 22-Dec-15 11:09:39

I find carols and religious music in general very moving. I feel close to God when I sing hymns and have had some wonderful spiritual moments while singing hymns. I can never get through Away in a manger without a sniffle.

This is another lovely version of "Mary did you know"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifCWN5pJGIE

Lovelydiscusfish Tue 22-Dec-15 19:34:47

I cried during the final verse of Away in a Manger at our carol service this weekend.

FriendofBill Tue 22-Dec-15 19:36:18

I love these lines

dementedma Tue 22-Dec-15 19:37:17

Listening to the Lewisham NHS choir of doctors and nurses singing their mash up of Bridge Over Troubled Water and Fix You, live on Chris Evans this morning reduced me to tears. Had to stop the car! It's on You Tube and brilliant!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now