Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lost Faith

(8 Posts)
Marrou Thu 17-Dec-15 21:33:25

I have been a relatively devout Christian in the past but have completely lost faith in recent years. No one particular thing caused this, just listening more closely to the words in church, looking at what is going on in the world, reading the bible and disagreeing with homophobia, sexism etc. I don't know where I go from here, no God? What is there then? Any thoughts / ideas?

Parietal Thu 17-Dec-15 22:27:44

welcome to the world.

maybe look up humanism? it is a thoughtful way to question life and get a sense of community and being more than yourself.

BigDorrit Fri 18-Dec-15 11:10:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I suppose it depends what you have lost your faith in. If you have been in a conservative church then there is a world outside of that stream. I'm between services but you could google

Accepting Evangelicals
Fulcrum
WATCH (women and the church)
Inclusive Church

which are all wrestling with the issues you mention.

Obloquy Fri 18-Dec-15 23:06:32

Well, what kind of Church did you attend? And what teachings specifically did you disagree with?

Obloquy Fri 18-Dec-15 23:09:20

By what teachings I mean Old Testament vs New Testament, things attributed to Jesus vs to St. Paul etc.

Finding the Old Testament difficult to stomach or disagreeing with St. Paul shouldn't prevent faith, but disagreeing with Jesus is a bit of a deal breaker!

If you are not interested in finding your faith again, humanism might interest you. Or just living as you have been since you stopped attending church.

AlanPacino Sat 19-Dec-15 09:07:11

What is there then?

What do you miss about believing in a god?

stitch10yearson Wed 03-Feb-16 22:41:26

Losing faith in an organised religion, and losing faith in God, are two different things in my opinion. But I think I am in the minority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now