Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Islam - the family is coming to stay

(9 Posts)
JustAnotherYellowBelly Wed 05-Aug-15 10:17:41

Next weekend DP's aunt and uncle are coming to stay with his parents.
His parents are very liberal (more so than my Christian-ish mother). Even though we're not married, I can stay round etc and I get on great with his parents.
I'm quite modest by nature (apart from clothes, one of my own rules is that I keep my hair up when around non-family males, something I've always done).
So I think I have that okay. Long sleeve tops, cover my tattoos etc.
Obviously we can't act overly coupley etc.
Just wondering if there's anything I've forgot? And how do I make them like me?!

decisionsdecisions123 Fri 07-Aug-15 23:41:50

How do you mean you keep your hair up when around non-family males?

No idea how you make them like you. Offer food and drinks and act interested in what they say?

chocolatechip123 Fri 07-Aug-15 23:45:04

They are just people. If they see that you are happy as a couple, then what can they say?

achieve6 Sat 08-Aug-15 00:16:47

I'm baffled
What has hair up got to with modesty?

The visitors are Muslim but they are liberal, have I got that right?

How about you be yourself and stop fretting? If they don't like you, tough. They are not dating you. You don't have to pretend to be something or someone you're not.

5secondstilltakeoff Sat 08-Aug-15 07:54:24

There is no magic formula to make people like you Op. Be polite and considerate (which it seems like your doing). Maybe take a small gift say a box of chocolates, or flowers, or cake for them etc when you first meet them. Most people me warm to you if you give them chocolate.

NerrSnerr Sat 08-Aug-15 08:06:46

Just be yourself, sounds like you'll be fine. I am intrigued about the hair up thing though.

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sat 08-Aug-15 09:31:00

Hair up thing is just a me thing.

So, going round with cake... Seems like a good idea!

They aren't very liberal and may or may not have problems with me being white (they are Asian).

I am slightly less worried now but I'm sure the nerves will return at the weekend... Worst comes to the worst, we make a hasty exit...

chocolatechip123 Sat 08-Aug-15 09:53:28

They are guests, so ought to behave themselves. I assume they know that you're 'one of them'? It sounds like they might have 'an issue' but that's their bad luck.

Imagine its great aunt Maude on a visit and she is rather Victorian (no drinking, swearing, flashing, farting or telling bawdy jokes).

pocketsaviour Wed 12-Aug-15 18:40:56

Have you converted to Islam? From speaking to my Muslim friends, that seems to be the major concern, rather than ethnicity (although I'm sure there are exceptions.) My closest friend told me her parents were more concerned about any potential partner's economic prospects than anything else!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now