Talk

Advanced search

christening regrets, is there anything I can do?

(8 Posts)
christeningregrets Sat 01-Aug-15 09:33:34

Hello everyone

I really regret not asking someone to be godparent to my child. She was christened 3 years ago in a Catholic church.

Could I perhaps have some sort of blessing, or in some way 'add' a new godparent? Is this a thing I could do or is it too late? It'd mean the world to me.

Thanks and God bless X

You will need to talk to your priest about what might be possible. There isn't a service in the C of E to allow extra Godparents and I suspect that it is the same in the RC Church.

fancyanotherfez Sat 01-Aug-15 15:52:54

I know it might be a long time away, but in the Catholic church, you can have a sponsor for confirmation. Could it wait until then?

ivywilder Sat 01-Aug-15 16:40:14

I will ask the priest tomorrow. Just wanted to get an idea before launching into it with him!

Can't really wait for confirmation as time is not on our side.

GasLIghtShining Sun 02-Aug-15 16:41:09

I suspect there isn't and if time is of an essence then confirmation sponsor will not be a choice

I have the opposite problem in that my DD's godparent is not part of our life and and we only had one

gingerdodger Mon 03-Aug-15 11:00:36

I hope your Priest was able to come up with some good ideas. I can honestly say though that if someone told me they regretted not asking me to be a Godparent and asked if I would help support the child spiritually I would be very flattered and kern to help even without being an official Godparent. Not sure if you've had this conversation with the person.

heylilbunny Tue 04-Aug-15 19:33:33

I agree with Ginger that if you know someone who you think would be a great spiritual mentor for your child I'd be surprised if they weren't delighted to be asked to be a belated godparent. I am surprised you had a baptism with no godparents, I thought that was a requirement in the CC.

ivywilder Tue 04-Aug-15 19:51:07

I didn't get a chance to speak properly with the priest so will arrange a meeting with him this week.

It's a long story! My child has 3 godparents but we should have asked another. It's too complicated to get into now but it's a huge regret of mine and would mean the world to me, my family and the person in question, if it could happen now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now