Talk

Advanced search

Scout and Guide Aethist Oaths

(7 Posts)
TwoLeftSocks Tue 28-Jul-15 15:41:45

Has anyone noticed any difference or changes to the Scouts or Guides since the oaths were changed / alternative oath added?

Just curious really. Haven't noticed any difference at ours.

BertrandRussell Tue 28-Jul-15 15:46:54

What sort of difference did you think there might be? hmm

TwoLeftSocks Tue 28-Jul-15 19:59:43

None really as there were loads of aethiest leaders and scouts before the new oath.

I was just wondering really, having seen some of the comments on the facebook links to the US Scouts move to accept gay leaders. There seem to be a lot of people thinking the organisation over there would implode if the god element was omitted / watered down.

Husbanddoestheironing Tue 28-Jul-15 20:03:34

IMHO it is a bit irrelevant certainly for beavers/cubs rainbows/brownies anyway. How many people of that age can make a truly informed evaluation of what they are promising anyway? And what about those with republican leanings? wink

museumum Tue 28-Jul-15 20:06:33

Not noticed it at all round here. I'm atheist but never had a problem with "my god" even though I have no belief in a higher power. I also do yoga classes and have no problem with the spiritual bits, I see it all as analogy / metaphor and not literal.

BertrandRussell Tue 28-Jul-15 21:02:29

Ah- you mean it might become more inclusive? A good thing, surely?

TwoLeftSocks Tue 28-Jul-15 22:58:11

Oh inclusive is definitely good, though I gather from the comments that gay leaders might still be effectively discriminated against as about 70% of US scout groups are church sponsored, which might use religious beliefs to select which leaders they allow in.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, and all of it makes me glad we're (mostly) more tolerant and inclusive here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now