i need some advice about catholic mass please

(7 Posts)
AdmiralCLingus Sun 17-May-15 17:45:54

My dd is baptised catholic (her dads choice) and although I am not, as a child I would go to mass with my stepmom. I would like to take dd to mass and as our local school is a catholic primary, I feel it is important shes brought up knowing about her baptised religion.
But when I went this morning felt really awkward because i wasn't sure if I should go for a blessing with her? The priest looked at me a bit confused! As an adult should I be crossing my arms for a blessing?
I felt a bit like I was being watched by everyone!!! (I know I wasn't!)
Its been a long time since I've been with my mom, and never as an adult as far as I can remember!
So can anyone help me with what I should be doing while I'm there with dd please?
(I feel a bit stupid for needing to ask sorry)

lemonpuff Sun 17-May-15 18:00:42

just cross your arms.
no big deal.

Rosieliveson Sun 17-May-15 18:03:38

Yes, unless DD is happy to go up alone just cross your arms when you arrive at the priest for a blessing. My family were all catholic except dad so he always came for a blessing rather than communion.

mugglingalong Sun 17-May-15 18:10:49

Yes, just cross your arms -if carrying a child I have shaken my head. As they get older encourage her to cross her arms until she takes her first communion. I personally don't do sign of cross but do encourage and help dc to.

heylilbunny Mon 18-May-15 10:58:52

And if you have any questions just approach the priest and have a chat so he can explain anything that you are wondering about. Welcome back x

AdmiralCLingus Mon 18-May-15 17:29:22

Thanks all, really appreciate all the help

museumum Mon 18-May-15 17:32:25

yes, to going up for a blessing, but also in my church when i was a child it was common for people not receiving communion to stay in the pew and just not go up. nobody really questioned it. it sort of depends on what type of pews you have and how inconvenient it is to just not go up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now