Talk

Advanced search

Catholic Responsibilty -- Relic

(29 Posts)
Scout19075 Mon 26-Jan-15 21:24:10

It's as powerful as Catholic Guilt!

Being guarded by my Mom (back home in the US), my family has a First Class Relic. We know the history, have the paperwork, etc. I was always vaguely aware of the fact that we had this but never gave it much thought.

Five years ago, when I was pregnant with SmallBoy, I was diagnosed with a nasty blood disorder. When he was small I underwent treatment. The treatment while on the drugs was successful but I relapsed when taken off the medicine at the end of the course. Two/three weeks ago I started another round of treatment -- more medicine, toxic drugs with nasty side effects, etc..

When we were home for Thanksgiving Mom said she wanted me to take the relic home with me for the year, to have and to use while I was undergoing treatment. I forgot to get it from her and she posted to me. It arrived today.

The responsibility is AMAZING. I'm now so worried I'm going to lose this amazing thing she has loaned to me. But at the same time, as I held the pouch it is kept in, I felt amazingly calm and strong, something I haven't felt since I started taking my medicine over two weeks ago.

Growing up Catholic I knew about Relics and I understand their power. Over the years this particular Relic has also helped family members and, within the last few months, has helped a friend of my mom's (who I also know and I know how poorly she was). When I called Mom to let her know I was holding it she said "Use it well."

But.... I've never had to use a Relic before. I have been given this amazing gift (and responsibility) but how do I "use it well"? Recently my prayers have been to Mary, asking for help, guidance and protection of SB (for an un-related issue that I'd rather not get into here) and to Jesus for guidance on raising SB. I don't know how to "use" a Relic. Can anyone offer and suggestions/guidance?

capsium Tue 27-Jan-15 11:55:31

Wow, this sound like a book.

Maybe start by consulting your priest? He will know of who is in need within your parish and who could benefit from the relic.

capsium Tue 27-Jan-15 11:57:13

But what is the story of how your family came by this Relic?

heather1 Tue 27-Jan-15 12:04:51

Can you ask your priest. With the greatest of respect he is more likely to have the information than random people from Mumsnet :-)
I'm sure you could just ring them up and they would be happy to speak to you.

bigbluestars Tue 27-Jan-15 13:29:51

Is it a piece of human remains? A finger, tooth or suchlike?

Onsera3 Tue 27-Jan-15 13:40:11

I was given a relic of St Gerard by one of my sisters when I was TTC. It had come from my grandmother.

I used it with a novena and it worked well.

For example, I was saying the novena nightly while I was waiting to POAS after a round of IVF. DH wanted to test 2 days early so we would get the make it break news at a convenient time. So I'd said let me quickly go finish the novena as I was on the last day. Tested straight after and got the BFP!

Same thing again with the very straightforward delivery I was praying for from 38 weeks. Went into labour the morning after finishing the novena, a few days before my due date.

I printed it off from this site
graceandspace.org/welcome/moments/novena.html

Another sister had been TTC for a couple of years when I saw her and passed the relic to her. She was pregnant within 3 months.

All the very best for your treatment.

bigbluestars Tue 27-Jan-15 14:19:35

Sounds like witchcraft!! grin

capsium Tue 27-Jan-15 14:27:33

bigblue Religious ritual and witchcraft, I agree, have similar facets to them. The difference being, as far as I can see, is that Christian ritual should strengthen faith in God...not the ritual. In that the resulting manifestation is believed to come from God and not through a human being performing a ritual. Rather the performing of a ritual is seen as evidence of faith.

So I see a Relic as being useful to some in the way it brings a person's faith to life, as it can have a profound effect touching something physical that God has been seen to have touched.

Although I'm not really denominational and do have a problem when people seem to have faith in ritual alone as, yes, it does seem like witchcraft.

bigbluestars Tue 27-Jan-15 14:34:28

That may be your interpretation, but the mechanisms sound very similar to witchcraft and ritual magic. Some magical rituals do invoke various gods and godesses, but not always.
I would suggest that there isn't so much difference.

capsium Tue 27-Jan-15 14:47:01

bigblue The mechanisms may well be very similar but this does not shock me.

I believe we all have an inbuilt capacity for spiritual understanding and a symbolic, ritualistic language. Spirits / spiritual matters tend to feature within witchcraft and other Pagan beliefs, the difference being Christians worship God and believe He is manifest in Christ and through the Holy Spirit

Annunziata Tue 27-Jan-15 19:57:46

A first class relic!

You can bless yourself with it or kiss it after blessing yourself. Ask the saint to protect you and bless you.

I think I would ask Our Lady for guidance too, she is queen of heaven.

bigbluestars Tue 27-Jan-15 20:37:23

Not sure if I would kiss it- it could be an old wizened human body part- a toe or a piece of skin.

Annunziata Tue 27-Jan-15 20:58:02

It would be unlikely not to be in a case or pouch to protect it though.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 27-Jan-15 21:02:08

Pretty sure you wouldn't be kissing a relic anyways bigbluestars...

I would have no idea what to do with it. It comes into an area of Catholicism I don't really inhabit. Could your family give you some ideas?

bigbluestars Tue 27-Jan-15 21:58:13

No I wouln't kiss it- but Annunziata suggested it may be a nice idea.
I am not in the habit of kissing old bits of corpses.

bigbluestars Wed 28-Jan-15 13:07:26

I would love to know which body part it is- is it large?

capsium Wed 28-Jan-15 13:39:30

bigblue

What so you can ridicule someone's beliefs?

You seemed pleased when you could draw similarities between Christianity and witchcraft. I know you have said before you are a practicing witch. As you have said rites and rituals have strong connections across the belief systems....the origins of what you practice has been known to have had some pretty barbaric practices in the past, so your squeamishness regarding holy relics seems a bit hypocritical to me.

bigbluestars Wed 28-Jan-15 13:53:55

You know nothing of my practice capsium. It doesn't include collecting body parts.

capsium Wed 28-Jan-15 14:01:25

Neither do my own practices include collecting body parts.

Yes, concerning your practices, I only know what you have said, or have I got the wrong person? You do not practice witchcraft? I don't know the specifics, only some of the history, of what may be included within the practice of witchcraft.

The Op has inherited a Holy Relic, she has not personally collected any body parts either. Many people keep ashes of deceased relatives on their mantel shelf. Some cultures celebrate their ancestors by decorating their bones. Who am I (or you) to judge this?

bigbluestars Wed 28-Jan-15 14:05:24

Free speech capsium. Religion sits on this society like a carbuncle.
Or do you think critics of ideology should be silenced?

capsium Wed 28-Jan-15 14:11:38

Do you consider your 'craft' a religion? Or is it considered somehow superior because there is no god worshiped at the core of it, only yourself?

Of course you have free speech, as do I, so I will query your comments and add my own. I don't see my belief system as the carbuncle, it is life giving and enriching.

bigbluestars Wed 28-Jan-15 14:14:10

I don't adhere to any ideology, I impose my ways on no-one, I don't indoctrinate, I am an atheist. I don't worship myself or anyone.

capsium Wed 28-Jan-15 14:17:13

I impose my ways on no-one, I don't indoctrinate, I am an atheist.

For someone who does not 'impose' their ways, you have an awful lot of derogatory things to say, concerning Christian belief and I would hardly describe your posting style as gentle persuasion...

bigbluestars Wed 28-Jan-15 14:19:18

I challenge others- but never seek to indoctrinate. The church invades our lives with its greasy tendrils- of course I will challenge that.

capsium Wed 28-Jan-15 14:22:05

And what are the aims of your witchcraft practice, bigblue?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: