Talk

Advanced search

One-off Sunday School ideas

(4 Posts)
roisin Wed 31-Dec-14 14:50:02

I teach Sunday School regularly (age 5-10s). We generally have 45-60 mins and have 12-20 children.

Later next month we have a Churches Together service, which may involve an unknown number of additional children. I want to plan a one-off session, which would be welcoming for children that don't know each other.

I've been mulling it over for a while, waiting in vain for inspiration. We could do games/activities; a team-building-type thing; communal craft activity or anything really. We have plenty of staff, space and resources.

Please let me know if you have any fool-proof great ideas!

Lovelydiscusfish Sat 03-Jan-15 18:32:59

Hi Roisin, just bumping for you as don't have any great ideas, sadly. Is there a set theme, or can it be about anything?
We've just started (and I mean just, so I am very inexperienced!) doing Messy Church, which is mainly craft based - you may well be familiar with the concept - you have a number of crafts on a particular theme, and the children move between the tables at their own pace and inclination, doing the different crafts. It seems to work well - they especially seemed to enjoy some seed planting we did, and also a craft where they painted some plaster or Paris figures.
Good luck with your event.

in2theblues Sat 03-Jan-15 18:54:15

Ok, have been thinking about this since I first saw the post. Just can't find the lesson plan that I was thinking about.

It's a drama lesson where three separate groups have a distinct responsibility but has an interdependence with another. Bit like 'scissors, paper, stone'. There's a very well known drama game where witches put a spell on giants, elves trip up giants but giants eat witches or the like - nice and physical.

Each group has a role. They come together for a social gathering to sort out whatever problem (Caucasian Chalk Circle). Problem and resolution is presented as a play within the circle. This way the children learn to become player and audience. The more confident ones take on the role of group 'elders' to tell the story and the session leaders direct through narration/storytelling.

I use tents or rugs to demark areas. Each group has props, costumes, music suitable to plot and character.

I'm sure there are many parables that would fit.

I have never, ever asked anyone to be a tree.

BlackeyedSantaStuckUpAChimney Sun 04-Jan-15 14:46:51

what theme would you like?

what do you want to teach them? what are the adults learning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now