Talk

Advanced search

Church of England - communion questions

(7 Posts)
HellonHeels Mon 22-Dec-14 15:57:39

I'm a communicant member of another church but would like to take communion at local (v. high) Church of England church when I go to services there. They are happy for anyone to take communion if they are in good standing with their own church so that's not an issue but I am confused about the process of receiving communion.

At this church you stand rather than kneel to receive communion. Does the priest put the communion wafer in your hands or directly into your mouth?

Sorry if this is a daft question, I just like to know what to expect. Would be really grateful to hear from Church of England members about their experience of receiving communion - thank you

BackforGood Mon 22-Dec-14 16:10:03

I've actually had both in CofEs, but more normally in hands.
Generally though, just watch what people ahead of you have/do.

longtallsally2 Mon 22-Dec-14 16:10:12

Hi

Have been to lots of C of E services over the years and seen lots of varieties on the theme, but don't think that I have ever had the wafer directly into the mouth.

There will be other posters coming along, I am sure, with their own experiences - the Anglican church is such a broad church: there's a lot of variety but also we are usually fairly relaxed - ie if someone wanted to receive the wafer directly into the mouth, and stood with their hands folded and mouth open, they would usually be catered for.

HTH (Of course, you could try not to be first at the alter and you can sneak a quick look up the row to see what the local practice is?)

I've only ever been to communion services where the wafer is put in the hand. If that is how you are used to receiving then put out your hands and the wafer will arrive.

If this is a very high place get yourself a seat at the back so that you can follow when they stand and sit etc.

Tuo Mon 22-Dec-14 21:30:37

Yes, I'd agree with everyone else - in the hand is normal, though generally anything goes and no-one will point and stare wink.

IME, although it seems counterintuitive, the higher the church the more flexible it can be.

Mrsgrumble Mon 22-Dec-14 21:38:33

In our (catholic church) some people prefer to have communion into thief mouth but if you hand your hands out, it will be placed onto hands

HellonHeels Mon 22-Dec-14 23:02:33

Thanks everyone - very helpful. You've calmed my anxieties about getting things wrong. In the hand is typical of my own (RC) experience but I've been to a very trad service where mouth happened and it unnerved me a bit. I'm not good at going with the flow and seeing what happens grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now