Talk

Advanced search

Prayers / bible verses for troubled times?

(17 Posts)
FaithLoveandGrace Sun 14-Dec-14 21:11:35

Hi all, one of my friends is having a really tough time at the moment. She's asked me if I know of any good bible verses to help her. I know a few (Joshua 1:9, Psalm 91:4, Deuteronomy 31:6) but wondered if you lovely people know of any more? Also do you know of any good prayers for troubled times too I can send her?

cheapskatemum Sun 14-Dec-14 21:34:58

Hi, what a lovely idea, she must really value your friendship. It might help if we knew a little bit about the nature of her troubles. 2 that spring to my mind are: Proverbs 19: 21 and Isaiah 55: 8-9, because I'm the sort of person that likes to understand what's going on and recently my world was rocked and I just couldn't make any sense of it, so it was comforting to know that there was a plan, but it was God who was in charge of it, not me! These verses reminded me to trust in Him. However they might not be much use if her troubles are of a very different nature. I don't wish to pry, but might be able to come up with more specific ones with a bit more information. I could pray for her too.

cheapskatemum Sun 14-Dec-14 21:42:55

Psalm 121 also good for knowing you are safe in God's hands.

FaithLoveandGrace Mon 15-Dec-14 09:36:08

Thanks cheapskatemum. I don't know the full story and there is a rather long back story to this but she's recently broken up with someone who she's been with for several years and they were pretty much engaged (pretty much as different culture so no official proposal). There was possible abuse involved and she's questioning whether she did the right thing breaking up with him. As I said it's a huge backstory and I can't really go into it (nor do I know it all of course). She's really upset / questioning things and just needs support at the moment. Also she's currently in a foreign country away from home so that's another strain as most of the people who'd usually support her are back home.

cheapskatemum Mon 15-Dec-14 20:20:21

Thanks FL&G. I'll have a think along the lines of God only wanting what's good for you - if there was even the slightest suspicion of abuse I feel sure she's done the right thing as in my experience it gets worse rather than better after marriage.

FaithLoveandGrace Mon 15-Dec-14 20:50:25

Thanks cheapskatemum. I really appreciate it smile

I agree, I feel sure she's done the right thing by leaving. However she needs to come to that conclusion herself. I know from personal experience it takes a while to accept the decision to leave an abusive relationship was the right decision and actually it took me years to accept it was in fact abusive. There are so many similarities between her relationship and my previous one. I just want to give her a huge hug and tell her it'll all be okay and the pain will ease slowly. She does seem to be feeling slightly better today which is good smile

cheapskatemum Mon 15-Dec-14 22:50:07

I try to follow htb's "Bible in One Year". Today's reading is Psalm 143. Here's the commentary on it - and at the bottom there's even a prayer! Sorry to hear that you too suffered an abusive relationship.

We need God’s guidance. You have the potential to change the events of history for good. But there are many challenges to be faced.

David was depressed. He was in ‘a black hole’ – a ‘dungeon’. ‘I sat there in despair, my spirit draining away, my heart heavy, like lead’ (v.4, MSG). How do we begin to get ourselves out of a situation like this?

Remember the good things
David chose to think about the positive. ‘I remembered the old days, went over all you’ve done, pondered the ways you’ve worked’ (v.5, MSG).
Keep worshipping
Worship can be an oasis in difficult times. David says that he ‘stretched out my hands to you, as thirsty for you as a desert thirsty for rain’ (v.6, MSG).
Cry out to God for help
He prays, ‘Hurry with your answer, God! I’m nearly at the end of my rope. Don’t turn away; don’t ignore me!’ (v.7, MSG).
Listen for God’s guidance
Year after year I have written next to the verse: ‘Show me the way I should go’ (v.8a), a list of areas in which I have desperately needed God’s guidance. It is so encouraging to look back and see the way he has guided me – sometimes in ways beyond anything I could have asked or even imagined.
This psalm is once again my prayer for today:

‘O Lord, hear my prayer ... my soul thirsts for you like a parched land ... Show me the way I should go ... for I hide myself in you … For your name’s sake, O Lord ... bring me out of trouble.’

cheapskatemum Mon 15-Dec-14 22:51:47

I should mention that the "I" in the commentary is Nicky Gumbel, Minister at htb, who has spearheaded the Alpha Course.

innerstrength100 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:33:06

Faith - as your friend is struggling with a rough break up, as I am, here are some that have comforted me in the past few days:

Psalm 34:18 "The Lord is close to the broken hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spririt."

Psalm 147: 3 "He heals the broken hearted and bandages their wounds"

Psalm 41:9 "Even my best friend, the one I trusted completely, the one who shared my food, has turned against me."

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke and put it on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit, and you will find rest for your souls."

Peter 5:10 "And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself resolve, confirm, strengthen and establish you."

innerstrength100 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:36:59

And cheapskatemum - thank you for these quotes, especially this commentary, which will also help me, as well as Faith's friend.

innerstrength100 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:40:53

Oh yes, and very relevantly Psalm 118

"It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in any man."

cheapskatemum Wed 17-Dec-14 00:13:02

Aw, thanks Innerstrength and the same to you, especially for reminding me of Matthew 11:28. Which Bible translation are you quoting? I like its directness and simplicity.

Anyone can sign up to Bible in One Year. You get an email daily with 3 Bible passages on a theme and commentary.

FaithLoveandGrace Wed 17-Dec-14 07:35:49

Thank you both smile some of the verses are helpful for me too. I'm not dealing with a breakup but other things so thank you for sharing them smile

cheapskatemum I signed up for bible in one year and have the app on my phone but I only ever read it for a few days before I get distracted and it takes me a few weeks to get back into it. Perhaps I should read it more as it's always been quite helpful.

Alicesmum1 Wed 17-Dec-14 08:58:51

I find that Isaiah 41:10 helps me when I'm feeling low - Do not be afraid for I am with you. Do not be anxious for I am your God. I will fortify you, yes I will help you. I will really hold onto you with my right hand of righteousness.

Also, have you thought of praying together with your friend and rather than using a set prayer, really pour out your heart, speak to Him and tell him the distress she feels. Psalms 55:22 tells us to Throw our burden on Jehovah. If you open your heart to him, then you and your friend will feel closer to him.

I wish you and your friend all the best, it's really lovely of you to care for your friend in this way.

innerstrength100 Wed 17-Dec-14 11:02:46

Re which bible version - some of my quotes are from the children's "Good News" bible, some are NIV. Some may even be a bit of mixture (!!)

FaithLoveandGrace Wed 17-Dec-14 11:09:34

Thank you so much both!

alicesmum unfortunately my friend is not in this country at the moment as she's gone away over the Christmas period. I think if I just sent her some verses and let her know I'm praying for her then that should help and she is feeling better slowly.

cheapskatemum Wed 17-Dec-14 22:59:31

Ah yes, Innerstrength I think it's the children's Good News Bible's straightforwardness I'm appreciating. My usual go to is NIV and I didn't recognise them as coming from that.

FLG I always think that even a little Bible reading is better than none. I'm guilty of abandoning Bi1Y during the run up to Christmas, but always find something of relevance when I do get to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now